Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you wear shorts in the warm weather?

(97 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 27-May-23 14:05:23

I’m thinking I’m too old to wear them ( legs aren’t what they used to be grin ) but in the lovely weather I don’t always want to cover up with long floaty dresses.
Funnily enough, I wouldn’t think twice about wearing shorts on holiday.
Just a bit self conscious I guess?

silverlining48 Sun 28-May-23 23:10:32

Wore shorts ( to the knee) yesterday, a lovely day, despite the breeze ).
I don’t look great, short and overweight, but don’t care. My legs need to feel the sunshine even if for only a few days a year. Why ever should I not ?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-May-23 21:18:39

Shorts and high heels? Noooo 😱

eazybee Sun 28-May-23 20:53:09

I haven't worn shorts since I left school because I simply don't like them.
If you feel you look good in them buy decent well-tailored , well-pressed ones , and don't wear them with socks and sandals or high heels.
Been at the coast recently and seen some horrible sights. The hotel I stay at won't allow them in the dining room, for either sex.

cornergran Sun 28-May-23 20:00:52

No shorts for me, too many nasty to look at veins. They would scare more than the horses. A good friend however is 82 and has the legs of a model, she looks great in shorts.

Callistemon21 Sun 28-May-23 17:42:28

FannyCornforth

Not only are they extremely unflattering on me (even when I was slim I didn’t look good in them) I find them very uncomfortable around the waist band and crotch ditto jeans.
I think that I have sensory issues

I can't wear leggings, it must be sensory issues as I can't bear the feel of them, although most people think they're very comfortable.

grandMattie Sun 28-May-23 17:39:51

I do have the legs but not the figure! I wear skirts, dresses, tunics and short leggings but never shorts…

Grandma70s Sun 28-May-23 15:53:14

Somebody asked what I wear in the summer if not shorts. I wear either light loose trousers or floaty dresses. The coolest thing, I find, is my long floaty caftan.

Kandinsky Sun 28-May-23 15:46:37

Thanks for all your replies.
I took the plunge & bought a pair.
I doubt anyone will be looking at me & if they do then so what? I’m wearing a pair of perfectly reasonable M&S shorts not a bikini - enjoy this beautiful weather whatever you’re wearing!

Grandma70s Sun 28-May-23 15:42:04

My legs are fine, but I would not wear shorts now because I think they look awful on older people, especially women. It’s a matter of taste. My brother, now in his 80s like me, only recently gave up wearing shorts. He did look all right, because he has good tanned legs and no paunch. When he was commuting into work years ago someone asked him what his boss thought of him dressing like that. He replied truthfully “I am the boss.”

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-May-23 15:29:43

Cotton or linen trousers or jeans for me. Living near the coast I see lots who don’t care.

JaneJudge Sun 28-May-23 15:24:51

I don't like jeans either, it is def sensory related with me too

FannyCornforth Sun 28-May-23 15:14:09

Not only are they extremely unflattering on me (even when I was slim I didn’t look good in them) I find them very uncomfortable around the waist band and crotch ditto jeans.
I think that I have sensory issues

ParlorGames Sun 28-May-23 15:08:10

Yes, I wear shorts. Just above the knee mainly but I do have a couple of shorter pairs which are now relegated to gardening and household jobs.

I also went crop trousers which, I have to admit, do look smarter.

As for my legs.......they're a bit scarred and battered but I don't really care, if people don't like what they see they can jolly well look the other way.

Callistemon21 Sun 28-May-23 15:03:00

timetogo2016

Bluddy nora, are you kidding me,
I wore shorts in juniors and now only wear clothing down to my ankles.
I have hated my legs since someone told me when i was 14 that i had footballers legs,being female,i was devastated.

You should be proud!
Women's football is very popular now 🙂⚽️

I don't wear them in this country, in fact I just sent a new pair to the charity shop, bought just before Covid hit but unworn as I haven't been overseas since.

Norah Sun 28-May-23 14:07:20

Theexwife those wearing them will not know or care what I think.

Indeed.

I'll just worry about me, not worry for others. I prefer to be warm, I live with a hot-natured husband - he wears shorts, I wear jeans.

JaneJudge Sun 28-May-23 14:06:59

I wear shorts and I don;t think my legs are particularly attractive these days but no one is looking at me so I don't care smile

FannyCornforth Sun 28-May-23 14:01:02

This picture will tell you everything that you need to know about me and shorts

DamaskRose Sun 28-May-23 13:57:08

Theexwife

No, I do not think old legs look good. I see a lot living on the coast and think they look awful but those wearing them will not know or care what I think.

Agree theexwife.

Witzend Sun 28-May-23 13:54:46

No, and I don’t like crops either - to me they only look good if you’re over 5 foot 9 and a size 10.
In hot weather I go for long, loose, pure cotton or linen, or a mix. Unless you’re bent on getting a tan, loose light clothing actually keeps you cooler than having the sun beating down on your skin. 13 years in Middle Eastern desert areas taught me that much, at least.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-May-23 13:46:40

Yes I do. I like shorts which come to the top of my knees. I’m too ancient to wear anything shorter I think.

Bella23 Sun 28-May-23 09:56:11

Thanks all for the remainder of the Dove gradual tan. Living up in the cold Noth my legs are pasty I need to get going with the exfoliator and gradual tan. I'm still actually in denims though I ventured into chinos yesterday.

M0nica Sun 28-May-23 09:51:08

It all depends on the length and state of your legs and the size of your bum. - and that applies to most women (and men) at any age, except that with men, it is the size of their paunches, not their bums that count.

Jaxjacky Sun 28-May-23 09:14:00

Again..

Jaxjacky Sun 28-May-23 09:05:17

Grandma70s

What?? Anyone on this forum is too old to wear shorts. I last wore them at school.

I don’t see much wrong with this Grandma70’s, what do you wear in the summer?

Gundy Sun 28-May-23 09:03:33

In my 70’s, my legs are still in pretty good shape, altho I have a roadmap of little blue veins around my ankles and feet which I hate. That does not stop me from wearing above the knee shorts, capris or ankle pants in summer.

I do the warm weather routine - shave, moisturize and self tan to be presentable all summer. But really, who cares?

Also 🩷 midi-skirts, dresses!