Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What to wear at ABBA Voyage?

(19 Posts)
foxie48 Mon 07-Aug-23 11:42:00

I'm meeting up with my daughter and spending a couple of nights in London taking in ABBA Voyage one evening. I don't care if you hate ABBA, I'm really looking forward to it and we'll have a great time. Any ideas on what to wear though would be appreciated. I used to have a beautiful fitted jumpsuit in fab colours but that has long gone. I might not try to dress up but who knows?? btw definitely no afro wigs allowed, not that I'd have worn one.

Lathyrus Mon 07-Aug-23 11:44:12

Oh dress up. You’ll regret it if you don’t. If you don’t fancy Lycra go for the swirly skirt look.

Have fun. 😁

Kim19 Mon 07-Aug-23 11:46:23

Thanks for this. I watch the replies with interest as I'm going in October.

Smileless2012 Mon 07-Aug-23 11:49:36

I agree with Lathyrus. Have a great time and come back when you've been and tell us all about it smile.

MissChateline Mon 07-Aug-23 11:49:50

My daughter went on Thursday night and really enjoyed it. She wore a rather 70’s short dress with a large flower print and leggings. Lots of sparkly makeup and a few fake gems on her face. She looked great.

1summer Mon 07-Aug-23 11:56:13

A friend went at the weekend, she and her sister dressed up and from the pictures lots of people did as well.
Lots of 70s inspired outfits.

trish29 Fri 20-Oct-23 23:27:00

I’m going in November. I read somewhere that audience members are asked not to dress up. Can’t remember the reason, but there was one!

Gillycats Fri 20-Oct-23 23:47:38

It’s fantastic! I didn’t want to go but my husband got tickets anyway. If you like ABBA you’ll be blown away by it. We didn’t dress up but many did so wear what you want. The atmosphere was incredible and I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

crazyH Sat 21-Oct-23 00:20:06

I love ABBA - I’m sure you will enjoy . Just wear what’s comfortable. I’m going to see Diversity next month. I’ll wear ‘casual’.

vegansrock Sat 21-Oct-23 02:48:56

I wore a little sparkly crochet hat a la Waterloo, and normal jeans/ t shirt, but most people weren’t dressed up when I went .

Casdon Sat 21-Oct-23 07:52:28

It’s a great night out foxie48, I’m not particularly a Abba fan, but it was incredibly well done, and such a happy atmosphere, everybody was out for a good night. We dressed up to get into the spirit, lots of people did (this was three weeks ago). I wore a sequinned jacket and a long blonde wig, which was the easiest 70s look just with black top and black jeans, but people were dressed as every 70s incarnation you can think of. One word of warning, my son was dressed like Phil Lynott, with an Afro wig, and they took it off him and gave him a substitute Benny/Bjorn wig - apparently Afros affect the light display!

BlueBelle Sat 21-Oct-23 08:02:40

Bit harsh if you ve got your own Afro Casdon
Not my thing but have a great time

LOUISA1523 Sat 21-Oct-23 08:42:43

Casdon

It’s a great night out foxie48, I’m not particularly a Abba fan, but it was incredibly well done, and such a happy atmosphere, everybody was out for a good night. We dressed up to get into the spirit, lots of people did (this was three weeks ago). I wore a sequinned jacket and a long blonde wig, which was the easiest 70s look just with black top and black jeans, but people were dressed as every 70s incarnation you can think of. One word of warning, my son was dressed like Phil Lynott, with an Afro wig, and they took it off him and gave him a substitute Benny/Bjorn wig - apparently Afros affect the light display!

The reason you can't wear an afro wig is because its culturally disrespectful ..... its all in the pre show email.
I wore flower print 70s pants and a sparkly Baker boy hat....its a good show

Casdon Sat 21-Oct-23 08:56:42

LOUISA1523

Casdon

The reason you can't wear an afro wig is because its culturally disrespectful ..... its all in the pre show email.
I wore flower print 70s pants and a sparkly Baker boy hat....its a good show

I didn’t see that, but we were told by the steward that the reason was that wig interfered with the lights, which do come down right over your heads, so I don’t know - anyway, they obviously had lots of people who arrived wearing them, because there was a section set up in the cloakroom for you to swap them for the Bjorn/Benny ones. My sister went flower power too, she looked really cool, seeing the outfits was one of the best bits I thought.

loopyloo Sat 21-Oct-23 09:24:11

Makes me want to rush out and buy an afro wig and have Bob Marley rave.

Norah Sat 21-Oct-23 15:38:13

Our daughters (in their 60s to 40s) attended as did their old enough children. Jeans, trainers, pastel dyed hair. They enjoyed.

silverlining48 Sat 21-Oct-23 19:36:09

I would love to go but wonder whether standing so long might be difficult. I am reasonably fit but wonder about standing do long,
On The other hand if seated will everyone be Standing or dancing or both wherever they are.
I am 5’ and to be stuck behind a group of tall people will spoil things for me.
Any advice welcome

silverlining48 Sat 21-Oct-23 19:38:13

Why do I forget to proof read before posting,

Casdon Sat 21-Oct-23 19:50:37

silverlining48

I would love to go but wonder whether standing so long might be difficult. I am reasonably fit but wonder about standing do long,
On The other hand if seated will everyone be Standing or dancing or both wherever they are.
I am 5’ and to be stuck behind a group of tall people will spoil things for me.
Any advice welcome

My sister has heart problems, so we were seated. If you get front row seats you can remain seated throughout if you need to - they are well banked, but most people just stood for the big songs anyway, and sat down in between. When you book your tickets you can see the seating plan, so as long as you book far enough in advance I’m sure you won’t have a problem. There are very few seats in the waiting area, so I’d say don’t get there too early, from memory I think the auditorium opened half an hour before the show started, so you could go in and sit down then. Go for it, it’s such a great show!