Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wearing a wig, how to keep it on

(20 Posts)
fancyflowers Sat 12-Aug-23 19:26:54

My hair has gone very thin, after a viral illness. I found it quite distressing, my scalp was visible all over. I have bought a wig, but even with a wig cap, I am not certain that it won't slip.
Does anyone have any tips for keeping a wig secure?

Chardy Sat 12-Aug-23 19:30:48

I think Amazon do wig tape, double-sided tape

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Aug-23 19:36:34

Wouldn’t that pull your hair out?

MayBee70 Sat 12-Aug-23 20:49:48

I’ve got a couple of wigs but, to be honest I’ve never worn them outside the house because I find them itchy and hot. And, since the pandemic began I don’t go anywhere anyway other than walking the dog! I do have some rather tight sunglasses ( I think they were my son’s cycling sunglasses) that I sometimes just wear on my head ( I used to wear hats in winter and sunglasses in summer to hide my thinning hair) and if I wear them over my wig it makes it feel more secure. Also those headbands that are quite fashionable. They make the wig feel secure, too.

Jangran99 Sat 12-Aug-23 21:17:35

Ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist,you will probably find you are entitled to wigs on the NHS .The wigs will be supplied by an accredited salon who have many ways of making them fit securely.

hollysteers Sat 12-Aug-23 21:48:05

Just use ordinary hairgrips/clips, brown or blonde whatever matches.
I use halo extensions and although they say I don’t need anything else, I use a couple of clips.

Sparklefizz Sun 13-Aug-23 08:24:09

fancyflowers I have sent you a PM

Foxygloves Sun 13-Aug-23 08:32:03

I have a friend in the village in her mid 60’s who has always had thinning hair for as long as I have known her.
Last year she started wearing an ash blonde short bob style wig and looks amazing! At least 15 years younger and so pretty.
And she must be saving a fortune at the hairdressers. I am sorely tempted.

MerylStreep Sun 13-Aug-23 08:37:46

Fancyflowers
Did you go to a salon or buy the wig online?
The ideal person to see to ascertain if your hair will grow back is a Trichologist, as I did.

MerylStreep Sun 13-Aug-23 08:47:45

Foxygloves
When I brought Connie home people couldn’t get over how good she looks.
I can still make a good fist of my thin hair thanks to seeing a Trichologist, but when I need to pull out all the stops, she gets an outing.

fancyflowers Sun 13-Aug-23 09:23:07

MerylStreep

Fancyflowers
Did you go to a salon or buy the wig online?
The ideal person to see to ascertain if your hair will grow back is a Trichologist, as I did.

MerylStreep, I bought it from Simply Wigs in Slaithwaite, Huddersfield. (Online, I didn't go to the salon).

Kayjay Mon 14-Aug-23 13:44:53

I have been wearing a wig every day for five years. My head is small so I buy a petite size and in addition stitch some tucks inside the wig itself.

I've tried lots of methods to ensure the wig stays in place, but the best by far for me is a wig band (Dreamlover Adjustable) from Amazon. I've never ever had a problem with the wig moving about. Great for my confidence.

Jaxjacky Mon 14-Aug-23 14:31:18

My friend has a few, all professionaly fitted by the NHS, they all stay put.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 14-Aug-23 16:58:40

Actors and more especially actresses wind a thin scarf round their natural hairline, or rather just above it, or better a strip of gauze bandage then put kirby grips into the edge of the wig and the strip of bandage or other cloth.

With a little practice you can place the hair grips so they cannot be seen.

No wig I have worn or seen worn on stage in this way has ever slipped!

Willow68 Mon 14-Aug-23 21:54:24

Wig grip band from Amazon, they are so good, keep
It firmly in place.

GrauntyHelen Tue 15-Aug-23 12:33:55

I've been eating topper which is whay you need for thinning hair for 10 years now it is attached to natural roots with clips It stays put and no one has ever guessed it's a 'wig' Get a referral to a dermatologist then be properly fitted you won't look back

GrauntyHelen Tue 15-Aug-23 12:34:30

Wearing!!

sodapop Tue 15-Aug-23 13:14:50

Thought it might not be too tasty GauntyHelen grin

Ikiesgranma Wed 16-Aug-23 08:15:47

I got a wig when I started chemotherapy. The woman who fitted it made it feel secure and comfortable but when I tried it at home it made me feel anxious and uncomfortable. I’ve never worn it and wear lovely turban type head coverings.

AbsoluteGlow Thu 07-Sep-23 10:54:47

Firstly, make sure the material feels comfortable on your head.
I will suggest to take your wig to your hairdresser.