Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Very red skin on eyelids and under eyes

(11 Posts)
Dollymixtures Sat 09-Sep-23 11:37:02

My mum had very deep shadows under her eyes so I presume I’m just taking after her. I know that the skin under eyes is very thin and that’s why it shows red but mine is ridiculous. My eyelids are red, no other way to describe it and my under eyes are red verging on black!

Has anyone else got this? I’m 75 so I suppose it’s just ageing but my skin is sore in those places. At least we’ve got concealer nowadays but I need it from first thing in the morning or I’m not fit to be seen! Any magic solution? I buy every cream going!

Blossoming Sat 09-Sep-23 11:57:43

I would speak with your pharmacist. You may have an infection or your eyes may be irritated by the products you are using.

Dollymixtures Sat 09-Sep-23 12:09:23

It’s long term, not just happened. It’s come on gradually over the years but I’ve noticed it really bad recently.

paddyann54 Sat 09-Sep-23 12:28:59

I've had psoriasis all my life but only on my scalp ,my right eyelid has become swollen ,red ,sore and itchy .The optician says its psoriasis .This is the first time its gone beyond my scalp,I need a GP appointment for treatment to confirm,meantime I'm taking opticians advice and smearing it lightly with Vaseline and its certainly helping.Might be worth trying?

Lyndylou Sat 09-Sep-23 13:12:58

Paddyann54 I have the same issue with the outside corner of both eyelids at the moment. Very itchy and sore, but I think it is something to do with the horrendous hayfever that I had last month for over 4 weeks. I have never had it so bad, at night I was struggling to breathe and to swallow but as soon as it cleared up I developed a itchy sore rash round ny neck and face. Most of that has gone now but I am left with sore eyes. I am dealing with it with cold compresses and vaseline at the moment.

MayBee70 Sat 09-Sep-23 16:37:34

My eyes were sore a few months ago and the pharmacists I spoke to were useless. Up until now I’ve used Touché Eclat as under eye concealer but my eyes are so dark and sunken now I need something that covers them more. I have to be very careful which eye make up remover I use ( not that I wear eye makeup much these days), I used a Simple liquid one that made my eyes very sore.

Dollymixtures Sun 10-Sep-23 15:04:07

Thanks for your replies. It’s true that I have suffered from hayfever VERY badly this year and that’s probably when this redness got so noticeable and the soreness got worse. I can’t do any more for the hayfever, I’m on all sorts of medications all except the one thing I desperately need which I can’t get for love or money - an injection for severe hayfever! The NHS ‘don’t do it any more’ and I can’t even pay for one as I’m considered too elderly and it’s too risky! I’m only talking about one injection per year which would clear up all the misery and discomfort but apparently, as I’m elderly, it’s likely to cause osteoporosis!

However, I’ve also tried putting simple things like Vaseline on which doesn’t help the exceedingly sore patches or the horrendous reddening of the skin above and below my eyes. I’ll just have to live with constant putting on concealer I suppose if none can offer a solution.

Aldom Sun 10-Sep-23 15:30:55

Pop in to your local options and see what they say about your eye condition. They may recommend something to bring relief to your eye lids and an improvement in the appearance of the under eye skin.
The symptoms may be caused by something other than hay fever.

MayBee70 Sun 10-Sep-23 18:13:21

I sounds like some sort of dermatitis.

Hetty58 Sun 10-Sep-23 18:35:55

Anything you put around your eyes will end up in them. I've had allergies to 'hypoallergenic' eye cream in the past. Now, I'll only use coconut oil on my face.

Hayfever here has been awful this year. The only thing that works for me is good, old-fashioned Piriton (or the cheaper yet identical chemist equivalent). Ibuprofen and vitamin C help too.

Concealer just isn't practical - as I splash my face with water frequently - but I do wear sunglasses when I'm out. My nasty dark shadows are between my eyes and nose - so not a good look at all!

crazyH Sun 10-Sep-23 18:52:03

I think I was born with ‘dark circles’ - and now my face is covered in melasma. No point trying to cover it with makeup/foundation. It makes it more obvious. So now, I just don’t bother. I use glasses, so the ‘dark circles’ are not so obvious, but there’s nothing I can do about my face. I try to concentrate on my dark shiny hair and make sure it’s always in good condition.😂