Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Curl confusion and diffusion

(6 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Sun 01-Oct-23 11:27:14

Having spent the past 70 years trying in vain to impose some order on my fine, wavy hair, which seems to curl more with age, I have given up hope of ever having the sleek and shiny locks I long for. Enticed by the prospect of being able to wash it and leave it most of the time, I now have a 'curly bob'. There are so many 'products' out there, I'm really confused. I have a diffuser hairdryer now, for emergency drying, but I'd welcome some advice on things that really work to stop the dreaded frizz - and on using that diffuser if I need to. Thanks.

Hetty58 Sun 01-Oct-23 11:42:31

I'd avoid that hairdryer (except for emergency use) and just go with the flow. Frizz is annoying (especially on my poker straight locks) so I use less bicarb (shampoo substitute) and only lukewarm water - wash gently, not thoroughly - with a diluted vinegar rinse to calm things down.

Thoro Sun 01-Oct-23 17:46:01

Having had very curly hair all my life.....
Get a good cut.
Wash every other day and spray/soak hair the alternate day.
Use serum or argon oil (not too much) on wet hair and comb through.
Lean forward and give your hair a good shake.
Leave to dry naturally- don't let a diffuser or hair dryer anywhere near it!

NotTooOld Sun 01-Oct-23 18:18:57

Frizz Ease have lots of products for curly hair including one called Secret Agent which reduces frizz immediately when applied to dry hair. Other products for curly hair are available!

Madgran77 Sun 01-Oct-23 18:37:58

"Aveda Curl Enhancer" A 1 inch round blob rubbed through wet hair, left on and dry with diffuser hair drier or just let it dry naturally. . Its excellent

J52 Sun 01-Oct-23 18:52:06

I find using pure shampoos, without chemical and Waitrose Pure conditioner helps. As previously said a little Argan oil spread on fingers through the damp hair helps.
I prefer mine to be straighter so I use a hot air styling brush on very low heat.