Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

My thinning eyebrows..

(25 Posts)
tanith Fri 20-Jul-12 13:41:24

My eyebrows are gradually disappearing they are so thin now, anyone have any suggestions to get them to thicken up or is this it for me.. thin eyebrows forever.. I do lightly pencil in the sparse brows I have , and I do mean very lightly with a brown pencil but I'd just rather they grew thicker...

any suggestions ladies?

AlisonMA Fri 20-Jul-12 13:56:35

Has your thyroid been checked?

tanith Fri 20-Jul-12 14:07:48

No not had any testing done but if I look up the signs and symptoms I don't have any other signs apart from the thinning eyebrows..no tiredness , weight gain or depression etc ..

lucid Fri 20-Jul-12 14:53:20

You should still have a thyroid check...I mentioned my disappearing eyebrows to my GP and she said that it was really important. It could be an initial symptom. (Mine checked out OK)

tanith Fri 20-Jul-12 15:00:34

Thanks lucid I'll mention it next time I see her..

Anagram Fri 20-Jul-12 15:38:53

In the meantime, you could always try this:

www.boots.com/en/RapidBrow-Eyebrow-Enhancing-Serum_1252036/

Mine are a bit thin, but that's down to over-enthusiastic plucking in my youth!

JessM Fri 20-Jul-12 15:39:31

Meanwhile - what suggestions do people have for good eyebrow makeup. I found a product that was great - sort of greyish mascara gloop at one end and gel at the other. Much more successful than pencil. But it was discontinued.

Anagram Fri 20-Jul-12 15:43:01

I use Benefits Brow Gel, but they now only do it in a sort of neutral/beige colour.

Ella46 Fri 20-Jul-12 15:46:46

My eyebrows are like tree trunks jutting out! I spray hair spray on an eyebrow brush and try to brush them into shape. (Not easy to say!)

Golightly Fri 20-Jul-12 15:56:32

Thank goodness I am not alone, I thought it was just me! I use Avon grey cohl (think I have spelled that wrong!) pencil on my brows as it is soft and does not leave a hard line and the grey is now more flattering than black.

tanith Fri 20-Jul-12 16:02:56

Hmmm thats expensive but the reviews look promising I might treat myself and give it a try... thanks ladies..

nanamacatj Fri 20-Jul-12 16:25:28

Ella46 Snap proper Dennis Healey's here, have to attack them with nail scissors at least once a week and train em with hairsprayblush

glassortwo Fri 20-Jul-12 17:10:25

My eyebrows have always looked like I pluck the life out of them but I rarely touch them. I think it stems from when I was 12 ish and my Dad cut my fringe with the electric razor blade and forgetting the circular discs were still going around. when I looked in the mirror to see my newly cut fringe I broke my heart I had no eyebrows and would not go to school, they tried eyebrow pencil and everything but nothing worked shock.They never grew back!

Maniac Fri 20-Jul-12 18:43:19

My eyebrows have almost disappeared. also hair in other parts!
I've been been prescribed thyroid tabs.for last 5 years but it hasn't improved my eyebrows.

NannaAnna Fri 20-Jul-12 19:28:59

Who else plucked all their eyebrow hair out, and then drew them back in, a la Clara Bow, back in the early 60s?
Mine never recovered! I now use my brown eye shadow to make them look slightly darker and thicker, but it's a very subtle effect.
About 12 years ago I had them tattoed, but it only lasted a couple of years, and all that remains are a pinkish outline!!

Mishap Fri 20-Jul-12 21:11:27

Hey - you can have some of mine - they are like the New Forest!!

tanith Fri 20-Jul-12 22:00:37

Thanks Mishap grin

gracesmum Fri 20-Jul-12 22:08:34

Bobbi Brown do a sort of mascara for eyebrows which is easy to use and looks more subtle than a pencil. I have also had mine tinted (like yours, they are thinning and getting paler)

Anagram Fri 20-Jul-12 22:18:47

MAC Brow Set is good as well, for darkening pale eyebrows, but I find the lightest shade too dark for me and so I mix it with the Benefits neutral shade.
Oh, the trials and tribulations of unruly/unwanted/too sparse/just not right eyebrows! angry
grin

yogagran Fri 20-Jul-12 22:18:58

I use that Bobby Brown stuff - very good, easy to use and more natural looking than a pencil

kittylester Sat 21-Jul-12 07:54:30

Er, what exactly are eyebrows?

My mum has very sparse brows, so do I and one son and one daughter. My daughter dyes hers but I find that a scary prospect. I wear glasses all the time and find any 'enhancement looks awful.

shysal Sat 21-Jul-12 08:34:22

My eyebrows have become sparse - I had a thyroid problem a few years ago and did not know about the connection.
I brush on light brown powder eye shadow which gives a less obvious look than a pencil.
I do dislike the current trend for painted-on heavy brows, I can't help noticing them on TV and how they are sometimes at different angles or start at different distances from the centre. I assume a stencil is used.

Anagram Sat 21-Jul-12 17:11:26

Oh yes! A girl at our local supermarket is sporting those at the moment - they do look very odd! confused

nanaej Sat 21-Jul-12 18:16:56

I sometimes have my faded and thinning eyebrows tinted along with my eyelashes particularly when going away in holiday..it's OK and not too scary. Rest of the time I brush on some eye shadow powder which at least gives a bit of shape! Hard to believe now how dark &shaggy they used to be!!

ErnestineKing Sat 23-Oct-21 20:00:53

I used Eyebrow Growth Serum of Dermalmd after undergoing chemotherapy in where I lost all my eyebrow hair. This actually helped the hair grow back thicker and longer. I'm a faithful customer!