Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Brooches - do you still wear them?

(21 Posts)
PoshGran Fri 24-Feb-17 17:47:37

Sorting through my jewellery box yesterday for some beads that had escaped from a broken necklace, I found some long neglected brooches & wondered why I didn't use them any more.

I used to wear them daily on jumpers or cardigans, but I think that once or twice some modern/thinner materials "pulled" rather badly....

Does anyone still wear brooches regularly? Perhaps I ought to polish up my marcasites, wash my lucite & dust my cameos! smile

tanith Fri 24-Feb-17 17:50:34

I have a stunning Art Deco brooch that divides into two separt clips that belonged to my eldest sister I've never found an opportunity to wear it sadly. I don't wear brooches either apart from charity pins or a Poppy brooch.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 24-Feb-17 19:01:31

I have some I inherited from my mother, which I haven't worn, but I do have 2 (both with sentimental associations) which are permanently on winter jackets, and so my answer to your question is Yes and No. grin

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 19:19:48

Only one brooch ( DH bought me) a very small colourful little enamel owl.It lives on a jacket.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Feb-17 19:27:02

No, not really. I don't put brooches on like I used to. I do have a couple of nice ones with sentimental value which live on my best coats. But on jumpers etc? No. Nor scarf rings either.

Marelli Fri 24-Feb-17 19:29:28

I have a few which I rarely wear, but like to wear a rather pretty marcasite peacock on my black coat.

Marydoll Fri 24-Feb-17 19:35:00

I have quite a few lying in boxes, one being my grandmother's which I inherited from my mother.
This thread prompted me to see if brooches were "on trend". Well ladies, get those brooches out. They are right on trend.
www.fashionisers.com/accessories/how-to-wear-2016-trend-of-brooches/
There are also lots of examples on Pinterest.

norose4 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:42:53

Yes definitely. I wear them on scarves keeps the wrap around in place. I think it depends on the design etc as to where & when they suit . My favourite is a dragonfly

Greyduster Fri 24-Feb-17 19:58:58

I have several but I haven't worn them for years - some not at all - except one which is an ornate silver bar brooch with a Blue John centrepiece. It gets moved from jacket to jacket!

Grannyknot Fri 24-Feb-17 20:09:16

I wear brooches too, but not sure I'd call them that!

I have a beautiful decoupage cow "brooch" in blue floral Cath Kidston type fabric smile (my current favourite), a Protea decoupage one, another with two knitting needles and a "work in progress" (all miniature of course), a piece of blue and white crockery worn smooth by the sea but you can just make out what it is. All of them are souvenirs bought on holiday trips from arty crafty shops for not much money.

Oh yes and I have one that is a "Prefect" badge, but it is spelt "Perfect".

ninathenana Fri 24-Feb-17 20:16:27

H bought me a genuine art deco one for Christmas to wear on a black coat.
I have a couple that were mum's but only keep them for sentimental reasons, I would never wear them.

Galen Fri 24-Feb-17 20:21:08

Wore a gold mounted cameo today and will be wearing a star shaped gold, seed pearl and (tiny) diamonds one on Monday.
As I have to dress formally for work, I find a brooch slightly lightens my formal jackets

Jalima Fri 24-Feb-17 20:22:15

I've never bought one but I have several which are inherited or gifts. They all hold memories. I may wear one on a jacket but only rarely.

I'll take another look at them if they are on trend!

J52 Sat 25-Feb-17 07:50:57

I used to wear brooches on my jackets, when I was working. Many from a collection of bow brooches that I had gathered over the years.
Now I still wear brooches, but in a more creative way, fixing scarves and wraps, on hats, winter and sun hats. I even wear a diamanté clover leaf on a very plain gilet.
It's becoming a bit of a trade mark.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Feb-17 08:05:28

No I haven't worn them for years they seem very old fashioned I have some nice ones tucked away maybe it ll come back

NanKate Sat 25-Feb-17 08:16:40

I too wear brooches especially the Art Deco style. I was in a shop in Windsor recently and there is a shop full of costume and antique jewellery, I was in my element, I bought a 3 strand spray a bit like 3 shooting stars in lovely subtle colours for a tenner smile

However I can only wear them on jackets as most sweaters would leave holes if I stuck pins in them. I like the idea of putting them on a winter hat J52

Tanith your Art Deco Clip sounds wonderful. Do you have to have a reason to wear it?

thatbags Sat 25-Feb-17 08:27:22

I have a couple of very old Laura Ashley silk scarves from the 1980s. When I wear them for warmth over a crew rather than high roll neck top in winter, I secure them in place with one of a pair of small brooches made by an Orkney jewellery maker, Sheila Fleet. When I did a lot of Scottish dancing I secured my plaid with a silver thistle brooch.

Rinouchka Sat 25-Feb-17 08:29:23

I have some lovely ones, art nouveau, art deco and even a Victorian one. I tend to use them on the joining bit of plain coloured wraparound dresses, the V join on the bust which, without a brooch would be very revealing( and I have little to reveal).

travelsafar Sat 25-Feb-17 08:45:35

I have some brooches, one was my mother's in the shape of a large star. I wear that on a a velvet top at christmas time, the star seems appropriate and it sits well on the top. I also have one bought by my oldest friend which is a red robin with silver diamontes, i wear that pinned to my winter coat.The others are beautiful but i feel too ornate to wear in this day and age which is shame really as a little bit of bling can brighten your day!!

Deedaa Sat 25-Feb-17 20:31:46

I think I know the shop you mean NanKate I rarely wear brooches now. I've got a wonderful big cameo that was my mother's, but I've never worn it because I think it makes me look middle aged (At 70?)

paddyann Sat 25-Feb-17 21:28:56

i have a lot of brooches but dont wear them ,I usually have a badge on coats /jackets ,SANDS,or my SNP badge or Butterfly Rebellion badge .