Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Best skin care for wrinkles?

(5 Posts)
Luckylegs Tue 12-May-20 23:05:41

I’ve been looking at videos on Facebook a lot during lockdown and have learned quite a lot. I’ve always used moisturiser night and morning, have bought serums and oils and all sorts of skin aids but I’ve developed awful wrinkles on my cheeks. I’m 71, my forehead and neck are fine, it’s just my awful cheeks, lots of vertical lines across my cheeks at the level of my mouth. It’s a lack of fullness in the cheeks which comes with age I suppose. That’s what fillers are used for but I can’t afford that.

A lot of these beauty bloggers talk about vitamin C serums, hyaloronic acid and other things I can’t remember but certainly haven’t used in my life. One thing I’m not sure about anyway, is what order they are used - moisturiser, serum, something else, something else, all before your foundation.

Does anyone use these things or recommend them or anything else for wrinkles as I describe please? I look after myself, use makeup, get my hair done (usually) but I’m recently looking much older and would like to minimise the ageing wrinkles if possible. It’s sunbathing probably plus I sleep on my side so I’m creating the lines all the time myself. Any help or advice?

Missfoodlove Tue 12-May-20 23:44:58

Hi there,

Sadly no miracle cures but firstly try a silk pillow case, they do make a difference.

Nip and fab do some really effective creams, their no needle fix is an excellent moisturiser, it plumps up the skin.
Look at their reviews online, they are all made by Rodial skincare but with a less scary price tag.

Luckylegs Wed 13-May-20 10:24:28

Thank you, Missfoodlove. You’ve reminded me about the silk pillowcases, I’d forgotten that. I’m looking at Nip and Fab, never looked at them before.

It’s all these different things you hear about - Retinol is another one. So many things, how on earth do you use them all and in what order and which is more important for wrinkles?

alltheglitterglue Fri 03-Jul-20 12:03:38

In fact, there is significant scientific evidence that tretinoin (vitamin A) improves the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars and many other surface skin problems. It cannot completely erase deep wrinkles but it will help. However, it takes time and some effort.

Tretinoin is only available on prescription, it can be purchased over the counter in much lower doses as retinol/retinoid/retinal. But it must be used with care. As it causes photo sensitivity it should only be used overnight and a sunscreen must be applied during the day. Usage should be built up over time, from twice a week to every other day, to more frequently.

You don’t mention your budget or whether you would use a serum. Personally, I prefer creams because serums cause pilling on my skin.

This is a good entry level retinol serum:

www.boots.com/indeed-labs-retinol-reface-retinol-skin-resurfacer-10163871

If, like me you prefer creams this is a good retinol cream.

In addition I would recommend a good vitamin C moisturiser during the daytime. Vitamin C makes skin look more radiant and reduces brown spots. This is a good starter and applies well under sun screen:

www.renskincare.com/collections/radiance/products/glow-daily-vitamin-c-gel-cream?source=aw&awc=6748_1593772505_32e50d014968056bdbd75ef15c2e0e76&utm_source=201309&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=xid:fr1593772504880bef&utm_content=The+Independent&utm_campaign=Editorial+Content

Hyaluronic acid and peptides are good for sealing in moisture and using on the nights when you aren’t using retinol. This is a good one:

www.lookfantastic.com/cerave-moisturising-cream-454g/11798691.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000047040822&adtype=pla&product_id=11798691&gclid=CjwKCAjwrvv3BRAJEiwAhwOdM4GenAnFPbRi40rS4O7BSedvQqszD4QxTrzZTIv_Y-bBbdPFxtKxChoCHbEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So every morning:
Cleanse with something like this, use a clean face cloth every day.

www.boots.com/simple-kind-to-skin-facial-wash-refreshing-150ml-10001590

Followed by toner.

m.feelunique.com/p/Simple-Kind-to-Skin-Soothing-Facial-Toner-200ml

Use a vitamin C moisturiser like the one in the link above.

Use a facial SPF.

At night:
To start with on say, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday.

Cleanse with the cleanser above, also used for mornings.
Tone with the same toner you used in the morning.

Use the Hyaluronic Acid moisturiser as above.

On Wednesday and Saturday nights repeat the same cleansing and toning steps as every other night but add the retinol serum or cream above. If you use a serum add a moisturiser on top.

Then build up the number of nights when you use retinol to every other night.

I know this is a lot but if you are serious about it then it will work and you should start to see results within 2 months.

alltheglitterglue Fri 03-Jul-20 12:09:24

The retinol cream link didn’t work so here it is again:

www.renskincare.com/products/bio-retinoid-anti-ageing-cream?variant=11828837187626&fo_c=2896&fo_k=1a532fdfb1145b00b5daf581d33196ab&fo_s=gplauk&fo_oid=10642&gclid=CjwKCAjwrvv3BRAJEiwAhwOdM4PUhsYxRExYwIKNIp76Tm0aUtWToaLbdDOUgmnpipK4xyB8lP0HIRoC9fYQAvD_BwE