Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Help! I need advice about knitwear!

(12 Posts)
sansa Wed 20-Jan-21 15:31:05

I hope you gransnetters can help! I know this is a trivial problem but it’s driving me mad. I like sweaters but can’t find any that suit. Suppose I’m fussy. I don’t like anything too tight round my neck and I can’t bear wool next to my skin. But I like and need to be warm! I find acrylic scratchy and m and s Cashmillion is too thin and creases too easily. I do like cashmere - naturally! - but it’s too expensive. And too many jumpers go out of shape when washed. Is there anything out there you can think of? Or should I stick to a long sleeved T under a sweatshirt? Forgot to mention I don’t like anything too tight - shows up roll of fat!! Aargh ...

Litterpicker Wed 20-Jan-21 15:42:06

I always wear a long-sleeved T-shirt under my jumpers in the colder weather - and a nice long vest or sleeveless T under that. I’ve been trying to avoid acrylic and other oil-based fibres but it’s very difficult. My JohnLewis plain, round necked cashmere has been well worth its cost and has washed well. I do wear a roll-necked sweater instead of a T-shirt on colder, windy days and have a couple of cotton ones from cheaper chains. I like my Uniqlo one as well but it is not a natural fabric (long-lasting though).

Doodledog Wed 20-Jan-21 16:40:26

Alpaca is a cheaper alternative to cashmere, and is very warm.

Can you knit? Knitting your own sweaters is not a cheaper option, but it does mean that you can make ones that are right for you (as regards not too tight round the neck etc). With careful shopping for yarn, you can make sweaters that are much better made and of much better yarn than shop-bought ones. I use Colourmart.com, which sells 'mill ends' of cashmere (the bits at the end of the massive cones that are used commercially) at good prices. You don't need to buy huge amounts - the smallest cones are usually 150 gramma nd three will usually be enough to make a jumper.

A good quality jumper (bought or hand made) won't go out of shape when washed. Acrylic might, as it has little 'memory' (the ability to spring back into shape). Natural fibres can be reshaped when damp and will hold that shape when dry.

Juliet27 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:54:44

I often buy men’s cotton jumpers as they are looser and cover up bulges. I know cotton jumpers won’t keep you as warm as wool or acrylic but they certainly keep their shape better and don’t go bobbly. Room for a Tshirt underneath for warmth.

Missfoodlove Wed 20-Jan-21 17:09:33

I cannot wear any wool other than cashmere.
I buy 1 cashmere jumper a year, normally in a sale and look after them well.
I always wash by hand and use euclan it’s a no rinse anti moth wash.
It keeps my jumpers in great condition.
It’s on Amazon or available through a few online shops.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj9krP8_6ruAhWAXRUIHQ-RBVMQFjAAegQIBRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eucalan.com%2Fhome&usg=AOvVaw2YGtgnSfCo2vZDnkw-Sr6q

sansa Wed 20-Jan-21 17:20:05

Thank you. There are some good ideas there. I haven’t knitted for a long time but I can and will explore that option. And I might splash out on cashmere too. I’ve spent enough on things that don’t work!

Lisagran Wed 20-Jan-21 19:18:19

I’ve recently discovered fine Merino wool base layers which I wear under a wool jumper, or under a tunic top. Very cosy. I got mine in a sale from Mountain Warehouse.

M0nica Wed 20-Jan-21 22:15:15

I generally wear wool, but find viscose sweaters a very good alternative. Viscose is made from wood pulp and has all the warmth retaining qualities of wool.

Tangerine Wed 20-Jan-21 22:18:06

I think M & S do quite good jumpers. Some plain and some patterned.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 21-Jan-21 10:03:24

You might find something in Debenhams as there is a sale and they have a wide range of labels. I wear M&S, Sainsbury's Tu and sometimes Mantaray or White Stuff. I don't like tops with a very high or low neckline either.

Alexa Thu 21-Jan-21 10:43:44

Fleeces?

Blossoming Thu 21-Jan-21 22:23:20

I got a lovely cashmere jumper for £35 in the Debenhams sale. Botany wool is very soft and comfortable, but usually quite expensive.