Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Which brand of sunglasses do you all recommend?

(19 Posts)
sara1898 Mon 01-Mar-21 13:10:11

Dear all,
I am looking for recommendations for some effective and fashionable looking sunnies for myself! I used to like Ray-ban in ye olde days, but their range in the UK appears to be very limited. The ones I had previously (sadly lost) were from the USA which seems to have a much better and wider range.

My brother lives in the US and has promised to get me something suitable from there (also hugely cheaper there, I might add). Please give me suggestions as to both make and model. I don't do well in the sun and get a terrible migraine if I don't wear suitable sunnies. The ones I'm using now are cheap and keep slipping off my face.

I am also trying to get a make-over (have rather let myself go these past few years) and want to look good, so the sunnies need to reflect that!

Thank you in advance.

Dee1012 Mon 01-Mar-21 13:22:20

How about Ted Baker Nevva ? I was looking at those yesterday and they are rather nice!

Blossoming Mon 01-Mar-21 13:31:21

I have to have prescription lenses, my favourite frames are Calvin Klein and Tom Ford. I can’t see at all in bright sunlight so I like quite a big wide frame to block out more light.

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:00:43

I have some prescription Ted Bakers which are great sturdy but stylish- I have sat on them and they were fine.
Juts for the garden or walking about I have several pairs of Boots own which are great and only cost about £20.

DanniRae Mon 01-Mar-21 15:22:12

Another one here who gets their sun glasses from Boots! sunshine

Farmor15 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:31:27

I get cheap ones from Lidl/Aldi. But I broke a pair on hols in France (2019!) and bought “expensive” ones from a glasses shop there - cost about €10 instead of €5 I usually spend. I’ve a friend who worked in an optician and could get the designer ones reduced, but I really couldn’t see the difference between hers and mine.

Bridgeit Mon 01-Mar-21 15:40:14

Get ones with Polarised lenses, cuts out the glare etc.

fevertree Mon 01-Mar-21 15:43:40

T K Maxx stores have a wonderful selection of many of the top brand names in sunglasses, I never fail to find ones I like in our local branch, and the price is right too.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:00:27

As long as mine are polarised I don’t mind.

Fernbergien Tue 02-Mar-21 15:01:36

I got mine from Boots opticians not the chemist. Quite cheap but good.

mimismo Sat 06-Mar-21 11:56:58

Boots, nearly always, except if abroad.

Visgir1 Sat 06-Mar-21 12:15:01

Check out Maui Jim's..
Not cheap but I feel so worth it. Cool styles, polarised, and can be bespoke to your prescription using same brand of lenses. These run in parallel to Ray Bans in the USA in price.
Check them out, worth a look.

jocork Sat 06-Mar-21 14:59:15

I have reactolite coatings to every pair of glasses I buy as my eyes are quite sensitive to light so I don't need sunglasses, I just choose glasses frames and it's sorted. The coatings add a little to the cost but until I retired I got them free with the medical cover I had from work. That's another expense I'll have now, so I'm glad I managed to squeeze an appointment in during my last month at work!

Jellybelly Tue 30-Mar-21 23:48:15

Migralens from RNIB great for migraine sufferers

Shinamae Tue 30-Mar-21 23:54:20

Lusually get mine from M and S.....

EilaRose Wed 31-Mar-21 00:12:56

Another chronic migraine sufferer here, although they disappeared during menopause...thankfully!!

Anyway, I get distance prescription glasses from Specsavers, you can get several colour tints, I prefer grey, and I also get them polarised.

No affiliation with SS but some of their frames are quite cost effective and still fashion styles and colours.

Hope this helps? ;-)

Janiepops Sun 04-Apr-21 00:06:06

You can go to any opticians and they have a decent selection of designer sunglasses,then just buy them as they are, plain ‘glass’ if you don’t need lenses. Also, look on Glasses Direct etc on line, you will be spoilt for choice!??????

Mollygo Sun 04-Apr-21 01:00:30

I wanted some prescription sunglasses with big lenses so the sunlight didn’t shine in at the top. I bought a pair of Balmain and they do a great job.

nanna8 Sun 04-Apr-21 04:22:01

Spec savers have some nice ones if you have to have prescription glasses.