Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Strong fingernails

(15 Posts)
ExDancer Fri 15-Oct-21 10:58:58

As I grow older, the only part of me that's growing stronger are my finger nails, and toe nails.
I have a 'professional' set of clippers but my nails are so think and strong now, I struggle to get them between the blades to clip them.
Can you get a tool with wide-apart blades for this situation?
The nails aren't thick because they're damaged or diseased, in fact they look quite good - just thicker than they used to be. I do take care of them but don't use varnish nor those enamelled ones you get done in a salon, I just trim them and smooth any rough edges, followed by a bit of a buff.
I asked in Boots but all these kind of things come in blister packs and you can't tell how far they open. And you can't tell from looking at a picture on Amazon.

PinkCosmos Fri 15-Oct-21 12:22:51

Do you need to use clippers. I use regular manicure scissors and my toenails are quite thick. I usually try to cut them after I have had a bath as they are softer then and easier to cut.

Esspee Fri 15-Oct-21 14:53:40

You can get an electric manicure set which grinds away the nail. Sounds worse than it really is. It's effectively like using an emery board. I had one years ago.

4allweknow Sat 16-Oct-21 11:17:14

Wish I had your problem of
thick nails. Mine are rubbish, thin and flaky. One has a deep ripple grove down the middle. Just can't do anything with them.

Anyard46 Sat 16-Oct-21 11:32:48

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RDHH1X1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_VW7QGMWGE65KY59T68PD?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=gransnetforum-21

Anyard46 Sat 16-Oct-21 11:33:40

The above link to Amazon for wider opening nail clippers x

GrannyGear Sat 16-Oct-21 12:10:24

If your toenails are equally thick and strong, might I suggest you find a chiropodist or a podiatrist - the job titles vary but they seem to provide a similar service. There are some who do home visits. After my hip operation I found I couldn't bend to cut my own toenails and a chiropodist was a godsend!

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Oct-21 12:13:37

We use these

Joesoap Sat 16-Oct-21 12:39:46

Like Grannygear I had a hip replacement and couldnt get down to cut my toe nails, I went to a chiropodist and am still going to her even if I can now get down to my toes, its a luxury I treat myself to.

LovelyLady Sat 16-Oct-21 12:53:07

I file the thick part of my big toes to make them thin. Then it’s easier to clip the free edge. Be careful not to over thin as it could be painful. As others have said after a Bath is best or soak them in hot soapy water for 15 mins then it’s easier to file and clip the free edge.
I go to a training college who train health care professionals. It’s free and I know my feet are being cared for. During Covid it was closed so I did the soak, file and clip method. Hope this helps.

HazelGreen Sat 16-Oct-21 13:28:19

I think you will find that they are thick from a built up of skin cells behind the nail. So try clearing that away with an orange stick then the actual nail is not so thick. I would not advice filing down the outer layer of nail. I think there is some gel you can get to help shed this layer but I think a orange stick works well.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 16-Oct-21 16:25:06

I go to a podiatrist twice a year, he files my thick nails down so I can manage them myself in between times.

dogsmother Sat 16-Oct-21 18:38:38

I’m with grannygear on this, it’s really important to look after your toenails. A visit to a podiatrist or chiropodist a couple of times a year is invaluable if you can’t manage your own. The damage other wise can be horrible.

Saetana Sat 16-Oct-21 20:28:01

Anyard46 Thank you so much for the Amazon link - this is exactly what we are looking for, my husband's toe nails are now too thick for our assortment of ordinary nail clippers plus he struggles with how hard he needs to use them. Definitely going to buy flowers

ExDancer Sun 17-Oct-21 14:23:16

Thanks from me too Anyard46.