Gransnet forums

Technology

Kindle

(86 Posts)
Mishap Fri 18-Nov-11 11:58:25

Does anyone have a Kindle?
I'me thinking of the basic model without keyboard.
How are the books downloaded?
Are they reasonably priced?

Ariadne Thu 10-May-12 09:19:20

Hi MaggieP!

Your devices "talk" to one another, so when you've bought a book, it's downloaded to your Kindle and to your Kindle app (obviously needs to be installed!) on your iPad, iPod etc. which I do find useful. And, say you've been reading something on the Kindle; when you open the same book on the iPad it will ask you if you want to sync to the last page you were reading on the Kindle...very clever gizmos!

My little Kindle is 3G and Wi Fi, light as a feather and, as I've said before, saves me overweighting my luggage allowances with my body weight in books! So enjoy it. smile

MaggieP Thu 10-May-12 09:12:20

I have just read all the 4 pages about Kindles. My DH has just retired and keen to treat himself, I have an iPad and he has found out that you can e mail with 3G and WiFi Kindles.
So would you suggest he goes for the one with everything and are they still small and light to hold?
Also jeni, you mention you can read your Kindle book on both the iPad and Kindle, how does that work when you purchase a book ? With only one payment?
Thanks for your advice, friends.

Irene114 Mon 07-May-12 21:23:15

I have downloaded calibre. Does that mean I can transfer books from Smiths and google books?
Has anyone converted books to Kindle that were meant for Kobo?

alanp Wed 25-Apr-12 18:26:43

An alternative to 'kindle' is a Kobo they have been around some time but not as well advertised I bought mine from play.com £89 for the touch screen version which the kindle touch is only just coming out at £109 and kobo has a large online book store.

Stansgran Thu 19-Apr-12 18:47:06

It is in fact easy enough for my technophobic husband who gave me a kindle last year. The amazon people help and all you need isan email especially for the Kindle. I download a heap of samples to help me decide what I want to read next from amazon and order from the local library if I can or put the books on a wish list to buy if I can't get them from the library. I bookmark the Kindle daily deal otherwise the computer gets too cluttered. it's worth getting the WiFi kindle as you can download on holiday if you run out of books-i haven't had to do this yet.Go onto the amazon bookstore and see if the kindle books suit you-there is a wide variety as well as free classics

Ariadne Thu 19-Apr-12 18:36:10

Poesje it really is simple. I do hope you have a wireless connection on your computer, because that makes it even simpler, because your Kindle will talk to your computer. So, if you don't have wireless, see if it can be installed for you.

Apart from that, Amazon is very efficient, and very good value. Think of the complete works of Dickens / Shakespeare etc - all free!

Where do you live? Happy to help.

X

Poesje Thu 19-Apr-12 18:20:38

confused Am a bit of a nitwit technically (my computer, later laptop, has been used mainly for word-processing) and having read all the erudite messages about Kindle, am now more terrified than ever to buy one! Do you need anything else to link it to, or can it be used independently?? Also do not want to find myself paying about £20 to download a book, or only be able to access authors I've never heard of. But getting to the Library gets more painful by the day.

lillian Thu 19-Apr-12 14:35:49

Hi Sunflower, yes i have a Kindle my wonderfull daughter bought it me as a suprise at Xmas.....it is fabulous..it is the basic model no keyboard but there is one installed within the Kindle if you need to use it.....to download the books from Amazon is easy enough even if you don't have wireless you can download them from your computer via the USB cable. all the instructions are loaded onto the Kindle but you con also get the information online from Amazon....lots of books are Free and the search is fun.go for ti you wont be sorry.

sunflowersuffolk Thu 05-Apr-12 12:17:45

I love my kindle more than I thought i would. I have the font set bigger, as less eye strain, easier to read when tired. Am off for week abroad soon, normally I'd pack at leat 4 weighty books, but not this time.

Just one warning, I get an email daily of free books, some are worth reading, many aren't. I was looking last night and clicked Buy on one (with Amazon), and as it went through I realised it was no longer free, was £3.50. I wouldn't have bought it for the price, so went into my account with Amazon and was able to cancel it as an accidental purchase, which I was pleased about.

leiyduo Wed 04-Apr-12 16:45:22

Message deleted by Gransnet.

Annobel Sun 01-Apr-12 16:24:00

Join the club, Maniac. You probably won't have time for anything else for a while, but eventually it will cease to be a new toy and become just another part of you life.

Maniac Sun 01-Apr-12 16:15:00

Hooray! just got my Kindle.My DD2 bought it as a late Xmas/Birthday present.She came down from Cheshire for the wkend and brought the kindle.So I've set it up and spent ages navigating and investigating its potential. -downloaded some free stuff and samples,changed the fonts etc,etc.When will I find time to do anything else in my life?

glassortwo Sat 31-Mar-12 20:48:18

Hi Derek, its nice to treat yourself wink

Derek100 Sat 31-Mar-12 20:44:15

Thank you for the welcome Carol. I've just placed an order for this new Kindle - and also for the iPad 3 - do you think I'm being greedy!
Derek

Carol Sat 31-Mar-12 09:39:39

Welcome Derek looking forward to chatting to you.

Derek100 Sat 31-Mar-12 09:07:33

Amazon are about to launch a new Kindle called the Kindle Touch:

www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Touch-Wi-Fi-Screen-Display/dp/B005890FUI/ref=amb_link_163489267_2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=01J5M9SF5N7ZSWKT1YNY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=289835727&pf_rd_i=468294

Derek (my first post on this forum)

Elegran Sat 18-Feb-12 10:08:28

I thought that for a moment too, couldn't imagine how it would stay upright.

I've had an email from amazon about them improving the "personal documents " service. You (or anyone else you add to a list) can attach documents of various formats to an email and send it to your Kindle, where you can read them. Good for photos? It can't email out though!

It says:-
"Formats are- Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
RTF (.RTF)
JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
GIF (.GIF)
PNG (.PNG)
BMP (.BMP)
PDF (.PDF)

The above file types can also be combined in a compressed ZIP (.ZIP) file. ZIP files are automatically opened up by the conversion service, converted to the Kindle format if needed, and stored in your Kindle Library. Some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle or Kindle reading application.

If you prefer to have your personal PDF documents converted to the Kindle format so you can take advantage of Kindle functionality such as variable font size, annotation, Text-to-Speech, Whispersync, etc., type "convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address."

eGJ Sat 18-Feb-12 08:07:26

I read your message rather late and thought you said your kindle had a drinks holder Lilian; great idea I thought ...........where can I get one?

digikidnan Sat 18-Feb-12 07:58:36

Sounds great Lillian!

lillian Fri 17-Feb-12 17:35:26

i had a great suprise at Xmas my daughter bought me a kindle which i had been pondering over yes or no for a while.it is wonderful and i still love books and go to my local library but at night in bed i can place my kindle on its stand and snuggle down into the bed and on these cold winter nights i don't have to hold it in my hands as i have bought a laptop tray and cushion which moulds over my body the kindle is on its stand on the tray there is a built in light and drinks holder on the tray and wow! such comfort.

Ariadne Mon 30-Jan-12 18:35:58

digikidgran the Apple products are great for intercommunication aren't they? I starred with an itouch, then my iPad, and now my kindle! Lovely! I also have some very good earphones now, so I can watch iplayer while the TV is on. Spoilt or what!

digikidnan Mon 30-Jan-12 10:26:37

Your query Zephrine...I'd go for an iPhone every time. You can txt, email, access the Internet ( doing Gransnet on it on the train right now!), access your bank account, the weather etc etc. Had one for 2 years now and wouldn't be without it. I use my iPad less, though it's got a bigger screen for the Internet. However ( takes me time to realize these things) have just found BBC iplayer on it so can watch tv in bed!
I was given a kindle by my kids- lightweight so great for holidays

jeni Fri 27-Jan-12 11:55:39

glass let him keep it and get self an ipadsunshine

glassortwo Fri 27-Jan-12 10:58:40

absent wink enjoy brew there will be no stopping you now.

I am having withdrawal symptoms my Kindle is still in hospital with FIL, who hopefully will be home today and if he has finished his book I might get it back, hope he hasnt taken a liking to it or he might want to keep it shock

absentgrana Fri 27-Jan-12 10:52:32

glass and GoldenGran Thank you both. I have managed this tremendous feat of technical brilliance at about the third go. Now I need a restorative brew.