Gransnet forums

Technology

Pseudonym privacy

(15 Posts)
specki4eyes Tue 15-May-12 21:54:20

When I go into Gransnet Forums and click to Log in, two boxes come up. One is for my pseudonym and the other is for my password. So I only need to key in the first letter of my pseudonym for it to be displayed in full. Can this be right because anyone using my pc could feasibly chance upon the first letter of my pseudonym and would then be able to
identify and read all my posts in the Active section, including the very private and (preferably anonymous) ones? Sorry, but I'm paranoid about privacy.

greenmossgiel Tue 15-May-12 21:58:01

I don't need to 'log in'. I just go on to Google Chrome and click on the list from there, and the Forum just comes right on straight away.

tanith Tue 15-May-12 21:59:38

I'm no techie but I think its your own PC that is completing your text for you . Someone will be able to tell you how to alter the settings I'm sure. Do you not have a separate password protected log-in for yourself especially if you want to keep things private?

specki4eyes Tue 15-May-12 22:02:53

Well yes thats fine green but I'm not talking about ME logging in - I'm talking about a hypothetical someone, other than me, who may access my pc. If you see what I mean smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 15-May-12 22:06:38

Hi Specki

Definitely fixable...all down to what browser you use, history, caches (and various other things that are beyond me at this time of night!!) So...let us know and I will speak to those in the know and get the answer to you asap.

Anagram Tue 15-May-12 22:07:24

I'm logged in all the time - don't bother logging out because there's only me and OH who use the laptop.
There's usually a microsoft box which pops up when you log in which says 'Do you want Windows to remember your password?' (or something similar). Could you have ticked that inadvertently, specki?

Anagram Tue 15-May-12 22:08:29

Sorry, wrote that before I saw Cari's post!

Bags Tue 15-May-12 22:11:03

DH says go to your Browser settings (or custom settings for your browser, whatever they're called; preferences on a mac) and switch "autocompletion" off. He seems to think it will be your browser that's doing the autocompletion. You may have to find two separate things to switch off before it works. Good luck.

Bags Tue 15-May-12 22:11:48

Oh, cari has got to you while I was typing. smile

greenmossgiel Tue 15-May-12 22:17:24

Ah, got you, specki - I hadn't read your post properly - (and I'd actually wondered if I was doing something wrong with my 'log-in', being able to do it so easily).

specki4eyes Wed 16-May-12 17:27:38

Thanks Mr Bags, I'm going to have a crack at that! Watch the thread, you'll probably hear some terrible language coming from Chateau Specki grin

specki4eyes Thu 17-May-12 22:07:00

F*** B****SH* Can't find it yet - but still trying. grin

specki4eyes Thu 17-May-12 22:19:30

I did it! Thanks to Bags and Mr Bags... and Cari for offering. smile

specki4eyes Thu 17-May-12 22:21:27

Oh and of course thank you to everyone else who responded to my query!!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-May-12 22:37:01

Delighted to hear it all worked out grin