Gransnet forums

Technology

child car seats

(11 Posts)
kate1947 Thu 05-Jul-12 19:49:33

HI, has anyone got any ideas of how to stop your child(2 and 2 months) from undoing and getting out of the car seat? my Grandson has just discovered hoe to undo the red button and wriggle out of his, and I'm at my wits end, my car seat is a britax, but his parents have different makes and he can get out of theirs also. thanks

Anagram Thu 05-Jul-12 19:53:18

My twin GDs used to do that at around 2/3. I just used to pull in at the earliest opportunity and tell them that we wouldn't be going any further until they kept their seat-belts buckled. Stern face, no leeway, just insist! Good luck!

Elegran Thu 05-Jul-12 20:05:30

Very diffficult. Our clever grandchildren are too blooming bright by half.

I suppose if you have the time and patience you could try a bit of association training - Plan to go somewhere he likes, and that he knows you are going to, saying firmly as you strap him in "If you undo this we can't go, we will have to come back home"

Then watch him like a hawk, ideally with someone else sitting beside him to see it at once. When he undoes it (obviously it is when, not if, if he is making a habit of it), say immediately "We have to go home now, you can't be in the car with that undone" He will throw a wobbly, probably, but be firm and drive home.

After a very short time suggest the trip again, repeating the warning, and acting immediately if he undoes it again.

Don't get angry, just quietly repeat the exercise again and again until he associates going somewhere nice with being in the seatbelt and not unfastening it

It will take patience and resolve! Good luck.

whenim64 Thu 05-Jul-12 20:05:56

There are little plastic contraptions you can slide over the buckle to stop little fingers undoing them. We have them for our twin grandsons as they undo each other's. Don't know where they came from, sorry - my daughter was given several for us all to use if they come in our cars.

Elegran Thu 05-Jul-12 20:06:39

Snap Anagram

Anagram Thu 05-Jul-12 20:30:17

Wish we'd known about those contraptions at the time, when! grin

whenim64 Thu 05-Jul-12 20:40:42

They're small grey plastic square shapes that are quite fiddly to move along the strap. I guess somewhere like Halfords or Mothercare would have them x

Notsogrand Thu 05-Jul-12 22:43:23

One of my grandsons did this when he was 2 and a bit. None of the behaviour mod things suggested above worked. In the end, I tied a large sock in one fairly loose knot around the straps. (An idea from Mumsnet) Very easy to undo if I needed to release him in an emergency, but he accepted it as an immovable barrier. A few big strops for a few journeys, but he stopped trying to undo the seat belt clasp and didn't even try to undo the sock.

whenim64 Thu 05-Jul-12 22:50:39

Great idea Notso

glassortwo Thu 05-Jul-12 22:57:49

We had something similar to these, not sure where DD bought them but DGC never managed to undo the seat belt after they were fitted.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Belt-Buckle-Guard-Cover-Car-Seatbelt-Baby-Child-Safe-Safety-Monitor-Chair-I-/110910178391?pt=UK_Baby_BabyCarSeatAccessories_SM&hash=item19d2c30457#ht_2592wt_1161

kate1947 Fri 06-Jul-12 17:27:46

MY son purchased 2 of the grey clip things from the internet and they dont fit, think they are intended for ordinary seat belts, I will definitely try the sock idea, and let you know how I get on, thanks for all your replies