Gransnet forums

Technology

Speakers not working.

(7 Posts)
Ariadne Mon 16-Jul-12 17:57:11

* crimson* [ grin]

crimson Mon 16-Jul-12 17:23:30

Fiddled around with all the things plugged into the back of the computer like some sort of mad scientisr confused and it's now back on [wired for sound, I am!]. Also used an old chart that I'd taken off the wall when the room was decorated; it showed where everything is on the computer. Was going to throw it out as well. That's what happens when I try to do the 'minimalist' bit. Thanks ladies smile.

JessM Mon 16-Jul-12 17:22:15

On my keyboard there is a row of little speaker symbols at the top. If you have these, press the one with the 3 curved lines on.
Also go to "system preferences" and choose "sound" and check that it is not set to mute.

Ariadne Mon 16-Jul-12 16:52:53

Have a go at the function keys - one has the sound symbol on it. Pressing that in conjunction with Ctrl may work.

effblinder Mon 16-Jul-12 16:47:48

You can also put it on mute as well as turning the volume down.

If it looks like it's on (lights up, does all the normal stuff) but just doesn't play, that's probably the answer. OR do you have headphones plugged into it somehow so that there's no sound coming out?

shysal Mon 16-Jul-12 08:08:43

Did you accidentally turn the volume down or off? I hope you sort it soon.

crimson Sun 15-Jul-12 21:56:44

Cleaned all round the computer yesterday including all the wires and stuff. Disconnected a few things but now find the speakers aren't working. Has anyone got any bright idea as what what I've done wrong. I'm sure I plugged everything back into the same places. I should have realised last night that something was wrong when Joanna Lumley didn't say goodnight to me sad. My son was round today and he could have sorted it out.