Gransnet forums

Technology

Free wifi with BT

(14 Posts)
tanith Tue 21-Aug-12 22:42:31

We have BT wifi at home which means I can connect my phone to BT wifi hotspots for free which is great but we are wondering if its ok to connect more than one phone as OH has his own Android phone. Anyone else connected more than one phone on the same login with BT?

Lilygran Wed 22-Aug-12 09:08:11

I can never find a "hot spot" so good for you. But we do have a number of devices connected through the 'home hub' and I seem to remember the BT engineer saying this was an advantage of the system he was installing. At home we have a lap-top and printer and an iPad and here with the dear children and grandchildren I have lost count of the number of electronic devices communicating wirelessly with the outside world.

jeni Wed 22-Aug-12 09:14:20

We end up with my computer iPad iPhone dd's phone and computer and SOs computer and phone all at once.13 month old has not started using her iPad yet at my house!

tanith Wed 22-Aug-12 10:09:21

I guess it should be ok to connect more than one phone then thanks ladies

Annobel Wed 22-Aug-12 10:11:24

I have Virgin wi-fi. My laptop and Android phone are connected. When DS and DiL visited, their smartphones were also connected - with my permission, of course - and when I visit them, my phone connects with their wi-fi.

rosiemus Wed 22-Aug-12 10:41:12

Help! We have BT broadband at home too. When I am out I find my iphone often goes from the 3G (good) to BT openzone - which doesn't work at all!! It's very slow and then everything says it has timed out or the certificate is bad or something. It's so annoying and I end up turning the wifi setting on my phone off when I am out which defeats the object! Can anyone suggest how I can make it work?

Thank you

tanith Wed 22-Aug-12 10:46:24

rosiemus have you downloaded the BT wifi app? if not do so , I got an e-mail from BT with a link on how to set it up, it worked fine for me. I'm sure if you just go to the BT website the link will be there..

Thanks Annobel thats just what I wanted to hear. I find it so funny when I walk down the road now and my phone tinkles every time it finds a BT FON or Openzone connection I think I can turn the tinkle off if I want to but its very handy to be able to connect to the internet for free. Thanks BT.

tanith Wed 22-Aug-12 10:48:21

Here is the link rosiemus

www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=30549&s_cid=con_email_Ogilvy_120813_1097_BBRET-BB_wifiappl

Annobel Wed 22-Aug-12 11:31:27

My Virgin phone tries to connect me to BT Openzone when it's available, so it evidently is open to anyone - not just BT subscribers. However, I prefer Virgin's own mobile network.

tanith Wed 22-Aug-12 13:50:09

Its great if its open to anyone but I had to put in my BT login and password to make it work..

rosiemus Wed 22-Aug-12 13:59:32

It comes up on any device as any locked broadband would - but it is only available to BT subscribers because you have to log in. And thanks to you tanith I have and it's working a treat - if only there was a big hug emoticon flowers

tanith Wed 22-Aug-12 14:47:44

You are welcome rosiemus , wait till you walk down the road and your phone starts tinkling at you grin

samried Wed 20-Jun-18 14:28:40

This information is really useful and definitely is comment worthy!. Football Master 2018 Apk

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Jun-18 15:07:59

It's only available free to BT subscribers, others can join for a fee. I've found it very useful, especially when we were in Australia. I've picked it up on my iphone and my Kindle Fire.