Gransnet forums

Technology

"Lending" books on Kindle

(8 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 30-Aug-12 12:20:10

My SIL who lives in the US says she 'borrows' Kindle books from her library for 2 weeks. The Kindle manual on my Kindle says I can transfer books to another device for 14 days, but when I go to Amazon.co.uk manage my Kindle it says I can't loan books. What's up? Are we behind the Kindle times in the UK?

Maniac Thu 30-Aug-12 15:15:58

my library sent me an email to say they now have ebooks available but that these are not compatible with the Amazon Kindle. Guess which I've got !!

Maniac Thu 30-Aug-12 15:16:23

my library sent me an email to say they now have ebooks available but that these are not compatible with the Amazon Kindle. Guess which I've got !!

aliciap Sat 29-Sep-12 14:22:18

I have never heard of this kindle lending! If anyone finally gets it to work I would be very grateful if they could post on this forum because it sounds excellent. What a clever idea
Ally

tanith Sat 29-Sep-12 14:37:55

There is an article about it here.... http://www.pcworld.com/article/240364/you_can_now_borrow_kindle_books_from_libraries.html

tanith Sat 29-Sep-12 14:38:20

Forgot to convert the link sorry... I'll try again..

www.pcworld.com/article/240364/you_can_now_borrow_kindle_books_from_libraries.html

annodomini Sat 29-Sep-12 15:37:39

My library has informed us that they are likely to have e-books, but not compatible with Kindle. As the Kindle is the leading brand, they might not have a very big take-up. I have downloaded an application called Calibre which is supposed to convert from one format to another but haven't had cause to use it yet. Does anyone else know/use this?

glitabo Sat 29-Sep-12 15:48:42

I have downloaded it but have not had any success yet in converting any books.
It is useful for organising books.