Gransnet forums

Technology

blooming phone!

(32 Posts)
Zengran Fri 16-Nov-12 16:36:02

Oh, dear. I decided to join the 21st. century and get a new phone. My very old Nokia 3310 has been a good friend, but it's time it went. I have purchased an android phone with wifi etc etc. i have taken it out of it's box, looked at its shiny newness and opened the manual (because that is how I do things). Okay, put in the sim card. Okay. Do I flip the silver bit up or slide the sim in? I am terrified of breaking the blooming thing!! Okay, slides in. Done. Put in battery and put on to charge. Battery in. How do I open the thingy where the charger goes? Oh goodness. Again, terrified of snapping the bit off by doing it wrong!!! Snap off husband's head instead when he offers to help. eventually sort it and phone is now charging.
What am I going to be like when I actually switch the damn thing on!!!
Isn't it awful when you are so afraid of technology!

numberplease Wed 09-Jan-13 22:11:18

Crimson, you`d better put a guard on that phone, cos I`m coming to nick it!

Anne58 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:28:55

My word, I was in full ranty mode up there ^^ wasn't I! blush

crimson Wed 09-Jan-13 17:17:01

I've got one of those, number smile; rented it for years off BT then they somehow forgot it was here [don't anyone dare tell them]. It doesn't work properly since my switch to Talk talk but it does take incoming calls. It's red and it's a got a dial with numbers and an old fashioned ring tone. I love it!

JessM Wed 09-Jan-13 16:55:08

Yes all those buttons number drives me wild.
I had a weird one with BT. They keep ringing me, thinking they are ringing the house 2 doors down to sort out their broadband. Are you Mrs African name - no I am not? I am Mrs M the account holder in number 56, Mrs Africanname lives in 52. Have you got an order in for broadband. No i had it installed last year. Is your phone number 123456 no - its the number you are calling me on now! Please can you sort this out! I am getting bored of these conversations now. Including the one where they engineer was sitting outside convinced that I should let him in to do my broadband...

numberplease Wed 09-Jan-13 16:28:25

Not a mobile, but we got a new landline phone yesterday, and as with every new phone we get, I`ve been struggling again. It took ages this morning to get all the numbers put in there. OOOOOOH, I want a REAL TELEPHONE, one with a round dial, and numbered 1 to 0, that just makes and receives calls, pleeeeeease! Me and technology have yet to strike up an acquaintance!

Anne58 Sat 17-Nov-12 21:11:16

Apps! Sodding Apps! Don't even MENTION SODDING BUGGERING APPS! At this moment in time, I would be overjoyed to the point of a near orgasm just to get an EFFING SIGNAL!

Or perhaps a call from Orange Customer Service, if indeed such a departments does exist, and is not just a product of my febrile imagination.

Perhaps on second thoughts, that might not be such a good idea, as I cannot give any assurance that I would be responsible for my actions, even though, in my normal/usual state, I am fully appreciative of the fact that the unfortunate member of staff who happens to be on the other end of the telephone is usually not personally responsible for the problem in question.

However, they have actually applied for, and been offered a job by the company in question, and have chosen to take the position, so don't pin on the Deputy's Star if you can't get on the horse. OK, you might not get on the horse, but at least expect to be asked to get your shovel out and move some shit

And breathe............................

gracesmum Sat 17-Nov-12 20:43:25

I have this image of you all hanging out of an upstaire window by your toenails pointing your mobiles towards the moon to get a signalgrin It can get a bit like that around us wth Orange I do wonder why we botherhmm

kittylester Sat 17-Nov-12 16:08:58

We have useless mobile signal and sometimes have to go and stand at the bottom of the drive or on the top patio to get anything at all. It does seem better on the android than on an ordinary mobile but sometimes I can be half way out of the village when I get a flurry of texts and nearly drive off the road with shock.

Mishap Sat 17-Nov-12 15:39:19

No mobile phone reception here either, and not likely that there will ever be because of the terrain.

Delivery vans have great fun - not only does the postcode take them to the wrong house, but they cannot get us on the mobile!

FlicketyB Sat 17-Nov-12 14:13:09

I am BT. I will follow up your suggestion. Our problem is we have a stonking great down rising behind the house and my problem is fairly general in the village with all mobile phone cpmpanies

yogagran Sat 17-Nov-12 13:56:36

What network are you on Flickety? I'm on Vodafone and have the same problem at home but I now have a Sure Signal box which boosts the mobile signal so I now have a full 4 bar signal at home. I'm sure that other networks must have a similar gadget

FlicketyB Sat 17-Nov-12 12:15:58

Part of my problem is that I cannot get a mobile connection at home. This means my mobile llives in the car on acar charger for use away from home. If it was indoors and being used I would have grappled with its intricacies by now. I have no problem mastering my computer.

crimson Sat 17-Nov-12 11:56:22

I've realised why I'm struggling with the new computer system at work; it's because it's very visual and colour rather than word based. Not having an iphone or ipad [or whatever they're called] the format confuses me.

tanith Sat 17-Nov-12 11:22:27

I love mine but I know my limitations and don't use any apps unless I know what I'm doing I am slowly getting there and have plenty of young people who will show me how if needs be. I've never used the manual as I find they just confuse me

annodomini Sat 17-Nov-12 10:14:27

I thought I was quite good with technology - until I got a smartphone. When I go to visit DS1, I have to get his advice on what apps I should and should not be using. Some of the things he recommends are a step too far for me. Even his brother has to get his advice!

Zengran Sat 17-Nov-12 09:31:01

Not just me then!!!!!grin

yogagran Fri 16-Nov-12 21:19:53

I think that things should be so intuitive that you shouldn't need a manual

AlieOxon Fri 16-Nov-12 21:07:33

You know what is the matter with manuals? They are written by people who already KNOW how the thing works!

Learnergran Fri 16-Nov-12 20:30:30

Virginmobile have just pulled the plug on my Blackberry because DH's bank account, from which they were paid for by direct debit, has been closed, and Virgin were not sufficiently high up on my list of "must contacts" to have been notified yet. So I am back to my nokia 3210!!! What a relief!!! No more tiny buttons I can't see. No more alerts every time I get a blasted junk email at 2:37 am. It may be quite a while before I sort out the Blackberry.........grin

Anne58 Fri 16-Nov-12 20:10:03

My supposed "smart phone" seems to be incapable of getting a signal unless I walk half way up the damn road, will often show 3 bars of signal, but then display a message saying "mobile network not available" can take 2 days (yes, 2 days) before it tells me that I have a voice mail, often the only way I can get it to work is to turn the bugger off then on again, and then had the bloody cheek to get a text informing me that I'm now on that thing that is the latest bloody thing that only Orange and the other one is on, BUT I STILL CAN'T GET A SODDING SIGNAL MOST OF THE TIME!

Yours, totally pissed off, disillusioned, rapidly becoming technophobic, utterly annoyed, distinctly unimpressed, losing the will to live when trying to deal with Orange via their website, please do NOT send me an email inviting me to call you on a mobile number, which I CANNOT DO from my mobile, because there is no effing signal, and I'm buggered if I'm going to call you from my landline at those rates

Of Devon.

Ella46 Fri 16-Nov-12 20:08:55

My dd gave me her iPhone 4 when she got her upgrade, and a quick 5 minute lesson!
Then my son gave me a quick 5 minute lesson!
Then my 13 yr dgd gave me a quick 5 minute lesson!

Ask me anything about an iPhone grin grin

Ana Fri 16-Nov-12 18:29:05

I don't know. That's why I asked.....hmm

feetlebaum Fri 16-Nov-12 17:59:09

"Why are they called androids?"

Isn't Android the name of the operating system they run?

merlotgran Fri 16-Nov-12 17:58:08

Why are the instructions so small they look like they've come out of a Christmas cracker? I've had mine a month and still haven't got the hang of it. angry

FlicketyB Fri 16-Nov-12 17:47:26

Yes, I got an android phone some months ago and still cannot do a lot on it. But I will not be beat. They are called that because that is the name of the software they run on as distinct from the software used by Apple on their phones

The things that I find so confusing is knowing when to tap and when to press touch screens. I had great problems with my phone when I started because I tended to press the touch screen rather than tap. Got that sorted but then went into my bank yesterday to get cash from the machine. Presented with a touch screen, I tapped it lightly, nothing happened, tapped again, nothing, tapped again, nothing. Finally in irritation I said something unprintable and pressed the screen. Everything started working and I got my cash. How am I to know, presented with a touch screen, when to tap and when to press?