Gransnet forums

Technology

Facebook - new conditions?

(11 Posts)
Greatnan Tue 27-Nov-12 16:04:22

A friend has posted on Facebook, asking all her friends to hover over her name, without clicking, then on Friends, then click on 'settings' and uncheck Photos and Likes and Comments. Otherwise, all her activity can be seen by people outside her friends. Has anyone else heard about this?

JessM Tue 27-Nov-12 16:08:33

Sounds like a scam. People usually set their own security settings don't they? What would be the sense in relying on other people?

Ella46 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:36:23

Having just spent a while last week, checking all my privacy settings yet again on fb, I must say it they don't make it simple!
However, I don't think anyone else can do it for you via their page.
Fb do make it clear what will be visible to others as a result of 'tagging' etc.

Greatnan Tue 27-Nov-12 16:38:23

THis is a very sensible woman - what would she gain by such a scam?

JessM Tue 27-Nov-12 17:05:09

I had a sensible person put a message on FB this morning - a copyright disclaimer that is totally worthless. There are all kinds of subtle things people do on the internet, to do with driving traffic through particular links in order to build up a rating on Google (I gather )
Or sometimes people just circulate these things for the hell of it, like chain letters, they hook people into doing what is suggested.

Anne58 Tue 27-Nov-12 17:37:29

I'm not much of a FB user, but I did get an email the other day with regard to a change in the T's&C's

Greatnan Tue 27-Nov-12 18:16:58

Yes, that was what made me think as well - I tried reading all the conditions but they are extremely complicated - deliberately, I expect.

JessM Tue 27-Nov-12 18:28:53

The only thing is to avoid putting on photos and never reveal any personal details that you would not write on a big sheet of paper and stick up in your front window e.g. "I am going away for a fortnight".

Anne58 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:35:34

I would also add, perhaps more for the youngsters, be careful what you post, as employers and potential employers have been known to look at peoples face book page when going through applications. So things like "Got really wrecked last night, so threw a sickie this a.m!" are NOT a good idea. And that is a genuine example!

crimson Tue 27-Nov-12 18:41:30

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z01Md4zdavQ
I thought this was about feacebook but it isn't really, but it's still one of my favourite songs at the mo [if it works]

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Nov-12 19:43:09

FB is the main way I keep in touch with DD1 and my cousins abroad. But we are careful what photos we put on and only talk about holidays once we get back. I think I'm now up to a grand total of 28 friends and all my privacy settings are friends only, so hopefully I'm staying fairly private.