Gransnet forums

Technology

Small computers?

(34 Posts)
Greatnan Wed 05-Dec-12 22:38:37

When I am in Manchester for Christmas, I want to buy some small device to take to New Zealand instead of my laptop. I am confused by all the different types - tablets, ipads, etc. I don't want to pay more than £200. All I need is something to send/receive emails and access the internet. No bells and whistles. Can anyone recommend something suitable?

Greatnan Thu 10-Jan-13 15:12:49

I mentioned on one of my expat forums that I was disappointed that I couldn't view UK TV on my Kindle Fire, and somebody told me about filmon.com. I can get most of the channels I usually watch - and they know I live in France!

jO5 Sat 05-Jan-13 10:24:43

It does all seem a bit complicated. Shame.

Greatnan Sat 05-Jan-13 10:22:27

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not going to buy an ipad, I am afraid, as I can read the synopses of my favourite soaps on line whilst I am away. I pay £5 a month for iportal which allows me to watch UK programmes on my laptop all over the world, but I don't want to have to carry it to NZ.
Oh well, I suppose I should get over my addictions to quizzes, Emmerdale and Corrie!

Kristof Fri 04-Jan-13 15:49:31

Depending on your tablet or laptop you can watch lots of UK TV channels here http://www.tvcatchup.com/ you have to sign up (which is free) before you can access the any of the TV. The only drawback is that your computer needs to have Adobe Flash Player - which isn't compatible with the Kindle Fire unfortunately.

Could anyone that uses the slingplayer app please let me know how it goes please, it costs £8.99 so I would like an opinion before I part with my hard earned cash.

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 12:29:10

Have texted son and he says this: Would need to sign up to uktv2c.com then install the slingplayer app on your kindle fire.

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:46:45

Something like this (with an ipad or mobile phone)

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:44:04

Doesn't look good here Greatnan. sad I think you might need an i pad and sign up with an expat service.

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:32:29

Yes. Mine is supposed to be instead of a laptop (which I haven't got) Greatnan. I sit in front of a desktop usually. It would be nice to be in an armchair sometimes!

Ana Fri 04-Jan-13 10:53:59

Sorry - the smile was to Jingl - hadn't read Greatnan's post!

Ana Fri 04-Jan-13 10:53:06

smile

Greatnan Fri 04-Jan-13 10:53:05

Thank you, Kristof, but I am not spenidng any more on it!
Jingle, yes, you have the more up-market version but I have a perfectly good laptop at home and just wanted the simplest tablet I could find so I can carry it easily to New Zealand. The only thing I need to work out is how to get UK TV programmes as iportal tell me it does not support their service, but when I googled a question I was told I could use Youtube or Amazon. I don't want to miss my favourite programmes whilst I am away for six weeks!

I would love to say that it was my addiction to Gransnet that forced the purchase, but in fact I do need to keep in touch with my far-flung family when I am on the move, and also to check out flights, airports, weather, etc. My usual routine is e-mails, Facebook, bank statement, travel information, then Gransnet for the remainder of the 60 mins. that the library allows!
Things seem to have been very quiet, as I expect most of you were enjoying yourself with friends and family.

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 10:50:38

Ana I've just remembered. Alexander Vlahsos (Mordred in Merlin) has just done an audio book thingy! Yeah!!!

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 10:48:02

Might take you up on that Kristof. I haven't really tried with it yet - I think I'm scared/lazy.

I've paid more than that for a cover off of Amazon! Didn't think of ebay! Oh well. hmm grin

Kristof Fri 04-Jan-13 10:35:30

We too got a Kindle fire for Christmas and we love it. Like you say it does Internet, Facebook, Emails, books, Games, has a calculator app, we can send it Word or PDF files so that we have documents with us when we travel. I don't use it everyday as we have the home computer in the house, but when we go away it's a Godsend.

We got a cover from Ebay for about £6 that allows it to stand up in either landscape or portrait position for watching films (or playing card games) or reading.

If you want more info let me know.

jO5 Thu 03-Jan-13 14:23:53

It doesn't seem to have a manual. Well, only a very small one - one page Anglais and then goes foreign! hmm

Must sit down-not-in-front-of-GNet at some point and try to study it.

Ana Thu 03-Jan-13 13:52:06

As long as it was read by someone with a gorgeous voice, of course! grin

Ana Thu 03-Jan-13 13:51:17

Or listen to an audio book....

Riverwalk Thu 03-Jan-13 13:48:59

If you want to watch films and listen to music it would come in handy!

jO5 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:44:26

OMG! This one's got a speaker with Dolby sound. Do I need that?

Oh well. hmm

jO5 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:41:47

Ah yes. That would be it Riverwalk. Son was spending my money for me. As usual. hmm

Riverwalk Thu 03-Jan-13 13:39:07

J0 you must have the posher HD version?

Ana Thu 03-Jan-13 13:25:55

£129 on Amazon as well....

jO5 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:16:17

Sugar me!!!

I paid £159 in John Lewis the other day! [runs to find receipt] shock

Do they still do that price matching thing?

Nelliemoser Thu 03-Jan-13 13:14:17

greatnan I like your style! Is it Gransnet that calls you to spend out on this technology just to keep in touch? wink

Greatnan Thu 03-Jan-13 12:52:22

Hooray! I bought myself a Kindle Fire 7" Tablet for £129 from PC World/Curry..
It is hard to get used to tapping the letters with a stylus after years of rapid touch typing but it fits in my handbag and I can access Facebook, e-mails, etc. I won't be using it to post long messages but it was good to be able to keep in touch when I went to stay with my nephew in Glasgow for Christmas. I can't use it at my sister's house as she has no connection, so I am back in the library today.
The covers are a rip-off - £20 for something which must have cost about £1 to make, but the Kindle Fire is a little larger than the ordinary e-reader.