Gransnet forums

Technology

GREATNAN

(60 Posts)
jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 12:31:38

Look on the 'small computers' thread. We might have solved your problem of getting uk tv abroad on kindle fire.

Pollyann Sun 06-Jan-13 19:55:39

Thank you also Ana that is my mothers name. She is the same age as greatnan

Marelli Sun 06-Jan-13 19:56:20

Pollyann, sorry you didn't have many people reply on your thread - it doesn't mean that they didn't read it, though. Please feel welcome - it's lovely to have new people join us here. I'll look forward to seeing more of your posts. smile

Pollyann Sun 06-Jan-13 19:58:58

Thank you also Marelli I do worry that my English is not always good but I try hard to speak it often and now I'm trying to write it also. This will be a good place to try I hope. I need to go now.

crimson Sun 06-Jan-13 20:04:19

Hello Pollyann. You did reply on another thread a while back because I remember you, but missed your other post. I'll check it out now smile.

whenim64 Sun 06-Jan-13 20:05:09

Your written English is perfectly fine Pollyann. Can you tell us what your first language is? Nice to have someone who can share the views of their own culture on here smile

NfkDumpling Sun 06-Jan-13 20:13:45

Hi Pollyann, nice to meet you. Congratulations on becoming the owner of an iPad AND joining Gransnet. You will find iPads and Gransnet make a addictive combination. Great chunks of your life can just vanish and you miss vital bits of TV dramas because of it.

granjura Sun 06-Jan-13 20:53:08

Where are you from Pollyann - I am Swiss and my mother-tongue is French.

Off to practice a bit of Spanish in Tenerife tomorrow - visiting our daughter for a couple of weeks smile

NfkDumpling Sun 06-Jan-13 21:16:50

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can learn a second language, especially a mongrel tongue like English. I have an appalling memory. I've tried learning French but never got beyond the second year (3 times). I recognise the words, but can I remember what they mean! Can I heck!

Greatnan Sun 06-Jan-13 21:19:21

Hello, PollyAnn, and welcome. I am only 'famous' because I started the jokes thread and so far have posted almost 1500 jokes. One thread was closed when it reached 1,000 but we have Just Jokes to replace it and I try to post at least one joke a day. I have been in Manchester with my sister for three weeks and she does not have internet connection, but I am back home to my little Alpine ski resort tomorrow and normal service will be resumed. At the moment, I am staying with Juragran, who lives the other side of Lake Geneva from me and looks after my car when I am away.

I am now 72 and look it, as I lost two stone in two years by very strenuous mountain walking and I am told it does not suit me but it suits my blood pressure and my knee joints! I travel a lot, as I have a daughter and three of my ten grandchildren in New Zealand. My hobby apart from walking is snorkeling on coral, so I added on a week in Thailand last year and this lot persuaded me to do an elephant trek - never again!

(I am watching you, When, you have obviously got out of hand whilst I have been away!)

whenim64 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:49:37

Sorry Greatnan I thought I'd get away with it now you've left the UK! grin

jO5 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:54:37

Pollyann Greatnan hasn't got a "special heading". I was trying to get her attention to this thread the next time she checked in to give her some information.

Try and keep up sweetie.

merlotgran Sun 06-Jan-13 22:02:53

That's a little unfair, jingle. Pollyann is new to gransnet and wont realise that you are shouting across the English Channel trying to get Greatnan's attention

Ana Sun 06-Jan-13 22:07:06

And anyway, it's your own fault, jingl! grin

jO5 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:08:39

She was in Manchester!

No! This thread was quite straightforward to start off with before you lot piled in.

Greatnan Sun 06-Jan-13 22:13:15

I don't want to be the cause of any friction, just when we are all getting along nicely together! smile Jingle is helping me to find a way of watching my UK programmes on my Kindle Fire when I am in New Zealand next month.

Nanado Sun 06-Jan-13 22:14:14

I think that's uncalled for JO ...'try to keep up sweetie'????? pollyann has explained that's English isn't her first language and in another thread she made it clear she's from a different culture. I think she doesn't know the word 'thread' and was trying in her way to out her question into words as best she could.

jO5 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:14:36

What would life Gransnet be without a little friction Greatnan. grin

Ana Sun 06-Jan-13 22:16:02

hmm

Nanado Sun 06-Jan-13 22:17:14

hmm

jO5 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:18:45

Oh!!!! hmm right back at you.

Nanado Sun 06-Jan-13 22:19:06

V

Nanado Sun 06-Jan-13 22:20:10

Very funny!!! Meant to say!