Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 7....

(25 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 21-Jan-13 19:01:13

Don't know if there is already a thread, but my new computer runs Windows 7 and I am not in tune with it!

Anyone know if there is an online manual? I mean not just a 'help', as that has already NOT been any help, but the old style manual that actually tells you how to do things, like 'how do I get back to the page I just had?' - one of my continual problems, as I keep shutting the program instead!

Outlook is especially problematic, as I miss those nice dropdown menus in XP, and cannot find things in the mess of small stuff at the top.

Someone direct me to a manual?

Ella46 Mon 21-Jan-13 19:34:30

I've got a Windows 7 for Dummies manual, which I used a few times when I started as a total novice.
W.H.Smith sell them.
Hope that helps smile

Soupy Mon 21-Jan-13 19:41:35

The new pcs are already running Windows 8; are you sure you don't mean it's the MS Office Suite you're having trouble with, as that includes Outlook?

I know the current version, which I have at home, is not nearly as intuitive as the older version that I use at work.

AlieOxon Mon 21-Jan-13 21:07:25

I did choose not to have Windows 8, didn't hear good things about it.
I seem to be having trouble with the whole thing. Explorer is ok.
Will look for a cheap copy of W for D for starters!

Outlook is the worst, but I can't blame them for the Amazon site which after no probs before, has suddenly made me order two different webcams....not intended!

parker Wed 23-Jan-13 15:05:40

It may pay to change your browser. I had problems until I changed to Firefox, after getting Windows 7, it now is OK. Why changing the browser worked I do not know,but it did.

Elegran Wed 23-Jan-13 16:09:50

I don't like Windows 7.

The help file has no middle ground between "Are you sure you switched it on dear? Best not to fiddle about with the settings." and the assumption that you are an IT professional who understands every acronym and every bit of technical jargon.

Nothing for the reasonably intelligent human who does not a great deal, but can follow clear instructions when they are given.

Office 10 is about as bad. My laptop had a short-lived version whose time ran out before I had mastered it, so I loaded an older version - luckily I still had the disk for it.

Ana Wed 23-Jan-13 16:27:18

I have Windows 7 and haven't had many problems with it. After a recent update I did keep exiting the internet by mistake, meaning I had to log into every site again!

I'd got used to clicking on the x in the red box just to go out of a programme and had to train myself to minimise every time I wanted to leave the internet and click on the little house to go to my home page!

Ana Wed 23-Jan-13 16:28:24

That should have been or click on the little house, not that it makes much more sense, probably...

AlieOxon Wed 23-Jan-13 16:45:56

I told you - THEY know how it works....just can't communicate it!

glammanana Wed 23-Jan-13 18:07:13

I also changed to Firefox and since then never had a problem in fact so much easier than explorer.

Ana Wed 23-Jan-13 18:10:45

How is it easier, glamma? I'm interested as I've only ever had Windows Explorer and don't see there's any problem with it, but it may be that I'm missing something?

glammanana Wed 23-Jan-13 18:22:00

I find it easier to navigate about than before,DGS installed Firefox for me after I had lots of trouble with explorer with being unable to access mail and e-mails I'm not that up on techi stuff but find it has worked well for me ever since it has been changed over.

Ana Wed 23-Jan-13 18:31:23

No, I'm not very well up on the tech stuff either, it's trial and error. I have hotmail so no problem with accessing emails. OH's emails are with btinternet and show up on our home page.

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-13 18:32:46

Somehow or other I have managed to use the notoriously unreliable Windows Vista for three years with no glitches. I have heard that Windows 7 is simply a smoothed out version of Vista and has a lot in common with it.
For browsing I use Google Chrome - with no problems.

Ana Wed 23-Jan-13 18:38:05

Yet I had terrible problems with Google Chrome and couldn't wait to uninstall it! grin

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-13 18:56:50

No idea why something works with one user and not another. Just the malice of the machine? confused

Ana Wed 23-Jan-13 19:00:24

That's probably it, anno. It knows how to push our buttons, but we don't know how operate its...confused

AlieOxon Sat 02-Feb-13 10:53:11

Got my windows for dimmies but it hasn't been much help yet.
Mean dummies but my cursor is being sticky, can't correct. why?
same difference.
I got Firefox - which I was using before - but found myself with a 'Write' program with it which was confusing. I didn't know if I was saving things on one or the other. Have now found how to delete it - gone.
I'm sure I didn't okay this!

feetlebaum Sun 03-Feb-13 09:13:56

I browse - and lots more beside - with Opera... Firefox is OK, but a bit clunky. Chrome is baffling. MSIE is - well, nobody who has ever written a web site has much time for that, although it is improving slowly!

My desktop has XP, with 32-bit Opera, the laptop W7 with 64-bit Opera.

annodomini Sun 03-Feb-13 10:03:36

Sometimes I get a jumping cursor - I pause in typing for a second and find that the cursor has mysteriously shifted to another line. Usually rebooting the computer sorts it out.

AlieOxon Sun 03-Feb-13 10:46:34

I've asked GN about the cursor problem, becdause it just seems to happen here - it just did it again. I now know it is there but I can't see it!
Except at the beginning of a line?

I liked XP. They just want everybody to buy something new....

Ella46 Sun 03-Feb-13 15:26:44

I get the jumping cursor a lot if I type too quickly on here, thought it was me!

annodomini Sun 03-Feb-13 16:58:09

Mine jumps on any and every document. Today it's behaving.

AlieOxon Sun 03-Feb-13 18:32:20

See other thread. I am now on Firefox and cursor is fine - and I got rid of the ads.

omits Fri 22-Feb-13 12:33:29

You don't say which version of Office you have or the laptop model. That always helps! Try Google-ing your problem.