Gransnet forums

Technology

My email wont work

(12 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 31-Jan-13 19:37:53

Email sorted now, thank goodness!

Moved I have been with Orange for yonks, coverage here has never been great, but was better with my old phone. (I could just about hold a conversation if I stood by the front door) This "upgraded" phone is neither use not ornament!

In think I will end up having to go to Barnstaple which is where our nearest Orange shop is, and possibly having a conversation with some youth who seems to speak Klingon.

I think the thing that is most pissing me off getting on my nerves is not being able to contact Orange without using a mobile number.

Movedalot Thu 31-Jan-13 17:25:18

Yes Hilda we are like that in Malvern too, lovely isn't it? DS3 says we are 20 years behind the times but for all the really good reasons smile

HildaW Thu 31-Jan-13 16:55:28

P.S. am in deepest Herefordshire - on average a good 30 years behind the times.

HildaW Thu 31-Jan-13 16:53:52

phoenix, I had problems last week similar to you. It righted itself after a couple of days but it was as if the broadband was just not strong enough to cope with everything. Husband got onto Google but MSN just would not oblige. We put it down to the weather in the end!

Movedalot Thu 31-Jan-13 15:59:47

phoenix have you looked on Orange's website to see what their coverage is supposed to be where you live? If it is rubbish there is nothing you can do. If however you should have coverage consider asking for a new sim. We had a similar problem and went into a Vodaphone shop to discuss the issue which had got worse since we had smart phones. Apparently sims have improved since we had ours 15 years ago! They gave us new sims and then we asked about G3 access and were told it was fine as long as you didn't live somewhere like Malvern! Which of course we do. Since we have changed the settings to G2 and had the new sims everything works so much better. Good Luck.

Can't help with the email, suggest you get a new one.

Anne58 Thu 31-Jan-13 15:51:47

glass , now there's a thought! I will have to have a look at the technical stuff and have a go!

I'll let you know how I get on!

glassortwo Thu 31-Jan-13 13:58:37

I agree the copulating thing...... grin you cant be too careful you never know who is reading wink Orange have in the past seemed to lag behind other providers on coverage but thought they had got their act together....... obviously not.

Just had a thought could you divert all your calls to your land line when you are in? I do this all the time when DD leaves her work phone at home and I get sick of answering it, I transfer the calls to her desk.

Anne58 Thu 31-Jan-13 13:32:21

glass if you only knew how apopleptic I get about my damn bloody useless so called smart phone! SMART SMART! I'll give it bloody smart, the sodding thing spends more time being charged than being used. WHY? because it's using all it's buggering energy looking for a signal that's why!

If I want to actually be able to access the voice mails I get (and I get a few, because the copulating thing never rings, just goes to voicemail) I have to get in the car and drive yes DRIVE for about a mile in the hope of the bloody handset noticing a passing satellite or whatever it is that it's supposed to do but doesn't, in the vague hope that it can make contact with bloody mothership for long enough for me to get that irritating woman with the syrupy voice saying "Welcome to Orange Answerphone"

I have tried contacting Orange about it, but if you go to their website, they invite you to ring them, there is no facility for email contact whatsoever. AND THEN the only number they give is a sodding MOBILE one! To top it all it tells you the call is FREE from your Orange mobile! Well, alleh bloody lujea! But it isn't from your landline is it? Oh no, and of course if you are trying to contact them to tell them that your poxy mobile doesn't work, then you're stuck aren't you!

Soory, got a bit cross there. blush

glassortwo Thu 31-Jan-13 12:24:09

disregard the rather I am having a bad day grin fingers refuse to work with the brain.

glassortwo Thu 31-Jan-13 12:22:58

Have you tried accessing your emails just from your search bar rather, it might be your shortcut thats not working, or if you have an I phone try on your phone.

Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 11:36:40

It happens to me sometimes P it just freezes when I try to do anything, it usually corrects itself if you give it a bit of time, usually 10-15 minutes.

Good luck with the job searching.

Anne58 Thu 31-Jan-13 10:33:31

Good morning all, my email seems to have gone on strike. I have got t'interweb connection (obviously, or I wouldn't be here) Mr P's is fine, but mine will not connect.

I have tried rebooting the computer (first port of call when I get any sort of problem) but no luck.

I went onto Google (other search engines are available) found the listing for my provider, but couldn't connect to the page there either.

Bit of a nuisance as it means I can't check through all the email alerts for the thousands of jobs that I could apply for (sarky face emoticon)

I suppose I'll just have to keep trying but wondered if anyone else has ever had a similar problem.