Gransnet forums

Technology

Hotmail versus Outlook?

(12 Posts)
Sbagran Tue 26-Feb-13 16:57:33

I have had a hotmail.com email address for years without any problem.
Now hotmail are moving everyone to Outlook.
It seems I inadvertently clicked the 'move me now' or whatever button as I am now on Outlook but DH is still on hotmail.
DH never faffs about with his emails - just deletes what doesn't interest him smile
I usually read mine before deleting which is why I think I may have gone ahead.
They stress you keep your hotmail address and nothing changes except it is all upgraded with the layout of the page etc. You can access from your posh phone or whatever (beyond me!)
Ever since I have been on Outlook it has taken ages to access my emails - everything takes much longer - opening messages is slower than it was with hotmail, moving them around is a nightmare - yesterday I couldn't get in for ages and today part way through I had the message that I can't connect to Outlook at present, try later.
Yesterday I managed to contact tech support and asked if I could revert back to hotmail but was told that as all hotmail is going to become Outlook there was no way I can revert back.
I don't have an all singing all dancing phone or any other mod cons! All I want is a bog-standard service - to send and receive emails on my laptop. Is that too much to ask hmm
Has anyone else experienced problems or is it just me hmm

Ana Tue 26-Feb-13 17:15:21

I've had an email saying all hotmail accounts will be moved to Outlook 'soon'. I'll wait until they do it - from what you say, Sbagran it doesn't sound like an improvement...sad

Sbagran Tue 26-Feb-13 20:53:50

That's probably what my email was about Ana and I now think that, in a moment of insanity, I probably read that it was going to be changed (whether I want to or not!) and thought why not change now and therefore clicked the button?
I am gradually finding my way around the new layout as far as Inbox, Draft, Junk and Deleted messages are concerned and that's ok. It is just that everything seems so slow and it seems to crash too often!
I am wondering if they have taken on too much too quickly and their technical support and set-up cannot cope?
Will be interesting to hear opinions from other Gransnetters and to hear from you again Ana when you are changed over! Good luck!
DH is waiting with a distinct lack of enthusiasm as well confused

Ana Tue 26-Feb-13 20:59:06

Yes - not looking forward to the changeover! I've had my hotmail account for about 15 years with no problems whatsoever, it was simple and suited my needs. I use it for everything, ordering goods and services and keeping in touch with friends - I've also found their filtering of spam etc. very efficient.

Why do they have to 'improve' and 'update' everything? sad

glassortwo Tue 26-Feb-13 21:00:14

sba I have changed and for a time afterwards I kept getting a screen come up for me to verify my password in the end I just deleted it ... it seems to have stopped but we will see.

london Tue 26-Feb-13 21:01:18

Sbagran i have hotmail but havent had any email telling me it,s going to change .All just look out for my infoe hmm

j08 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:06:40

Gmail is very good. Very straightforward. User friendly.

Hunt Tue 26-Feb-13 23:20:14

'New', 'Improved ' strike dread in my heart whether it be Hotmail or my favourite ready meal.

glassortwo Wed 27-Feb-13 10:16:02

Something else which is happening when I try to send larger emails they seem to be stalling and I get an error report.

Sbagran Wed 27-Feb-13 16:24:47

Have just opened my hotmail/outlook account and there was a customer support satisfaction survey asking my opinion on the service I received!
I have completed the survey honestly!
I pointed out that I had been on hotmail for many years, don't have an all-singing all-dancing mobile phone or other device and simply want to stay as I was!
Will be interesting to see if they respond hmm

annodomini Wed 27-Feb-13 17:02:26

I have, on several occasions had spam emails sent in the name of friends who use hotmail. It seemed that their contacts had been hacked into. I don't think this has ever happened with gmail, though I hope the hackers don't take that as a challenge.

Ana Thu 14-Mar-13 16:21:15

Well, today seems to have been changeover day and so far, so good.

I actually prefer the new layout, it's much clearer, and I haven't experienced any of the problems you mentioned in your OP, Sbagran. Fingers crossed! grin