Gransnet forums

Technology

iPads and computer assistance

(14 Posts)
Liney Fri 08-Mar-13 18:37:26

Having had to move abroad and leave my ageing parents back in the UK the need for greater communication has become apparent in our family life. The telephone has always been suffice in the past to stay in contact, but now with our rapidly growing technological world, the ever increasing need for the Internet has become a realisation for my elderly parents. They noticed how even more isolated they were becoming by not have access to online shopping, special deals and just in general the inability to communicate with the outside world without being penalised for not having the Internet!
My parents having toyed with the idea of having a home PC and dismissing it for all it's complicated set up, jargon and trouble shooting. So we encouraged them to have an ipad. The appeal factor being easy to set up, small, portable and easy to use!

The computer challenge....

Setting up Broadband - Having seen adverts on TV for the first 6 months free, and just the basic package they needed, they made the call to switch supplier. For whatever reason, my parents did not understand, they did not receive the first 6 months free and had to wait more than the 10 days to get the broadband despite the 'special deals' as advertised on TV. However the Hub was distributed in the set time and payments deducted in advance!

The ipad - I ordered it online, and had it sent by amazon direct to their home so they were not confused completely by salesmen in a computer store. We set up email, Skype, and the necessary apps store account with username and passwords. Easy, all set.....or so we thought!!

Tuition - Now my parents being complete novices with a device such as this even struggled to switch the ipad on initially ! My 'over the phone' step by step instructions proved even more difficult. So my mother who was not to be defeated contacted Age UK, who were able to recommend a person who would go to their house to assist. Perfect we thought, an hour for the set up - which my parents did not really need to have tuition on, a basic introduction, then perhaps a follow up for an hour or so a few days later to avoid brain information overload. Oh no, the guy recommended came for 3 1/2 hours, I have no idea what took him so long to set up the ipad - which only takes 10 mins - as my personal experience and witnessed on many You Tube videos from start to finish! The guy suggested that the ipad was faulty, and left my parents 70 pounds lighter and none the wiser with regarding to using the Ipad!

The total experience my parents have had is unbelievable, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions....?

glammanana Fri 08-Mar-13 21:18:03

I am not being funny here but do your parents know any youngsters in their area who would instruct them because when ever I have a problem my 10yr old DGD is the first person I ask, a chat with parents locally may be the answer as I'm sure some youngster would love a wee bit of pocket money,I would also get on to Age UK and complain about the guy who went to your parents house he obviously did not have a clue what he was doing.

Stansgran Fri 08-Mar-13 22:38:50

What part of the country are they? There are silver surfer classes in plenty of libraries. There are local gransnet s who might be able to advise for your parents area.

Liney Sun 10-Mar-13 20:04:50

Thank you for your comments. My parents live in a small village and not many kids to help out unfortunately. Which was one of the reasons to connect them with the outside world especially on days when they don't see anyone ( My own kids 8 -12 yrs, are very quick to help me;) The ipad appealed as we were hoping it was going to be quite intuitive for them, so no need for extra assistance ie. computer courses etc.
What makes me the most frustrated is the guy recommended by Age UK, who was not sympathetic to their requirements. I can't believe he took so long to set it up, and at the end of the 3 1/2 hours they are none the wiser and 70 quid lighter! He set up the ipad which should have taken 10mins, he downloaded a couple if apps and didn't set them up completely or show them what to do. Do Age UK just accept anyone as suitable for assisting the elderly without any checks or guidelines, I wonder?

dirgni Thu 14-Mar-13 11:18:58

I know this wont be for those who live in rural spots, but my DIL suggested that I attend on of the FREE classes that run in Apple stores all over the country. Yesterday I attended the one in the Bullring in Birmingham and it was great!
I can't speak highly enough about it,it was supposed to be an hour but the guy running it went on for nearly two answering questions. There were only five of us so it made it really personal. I am practising all the things I learned on the beginners course and then will definitely book for another session on a more advanced one!

Ylil Thu 14-Mar-13 13:30:59

If they live near me, I'd be more than happy to help them, I use an iPad. Inbox me if you like.

glammanana Thu 14-Mar-13 14:25:55

I've just been informed our Local Library are holding free tution lesson's so it may be worth while enquiring for your parents if the scheme is running in their area.

Glassie Fri 15-Mar-13 16:53:04

HELP. I keep getting the message Ox800CCC92 coming up on my PC. A pop-up window stating - Enter Network Password: As much as I keep putting it in, it just comes back. I am using Microsoft Outlook. Anyone got any ideas, that could help me.

Elegran Fri 15-Mar-13 17:18:39

Mine used to do something like that from time to time - it insisted that I had to put in the password which I never usually needed, and could not find without a lot of faff . You could try closing down your PC and restarting it. That used to work.

Galen Fri 15-Mar-13 18:08:14

I've a new iPad mini and I'm having to download it all again.
Yahoo keeps asking me for a password that I can't remember!
Unlike other sites they don't let you get a reminder or a reset. What do I do?

Galen Fri 15-Mar-13 20:42:37

Bump

Ylil Sat 16-Mar-13 07:59:02

Yahoo email password?

Is it just your email you can't set up?

stresshead Sat 16-Mar-13 11:18:26

Hi Glassie browsed your error code on the web hope this helps
There are two (2) ways to fix ox800ccc92 Error:

Advanced Computer User Solution (manual update):
1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.
2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.
3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.
4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.
5) Click Next on the confirmation window.
6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished.

Novice Computer User Solution (completely automated):
1) Download (ox800ccc92) repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.

petra Mon 18-Mar-13 12:36:56

Hi Liney. I'm a great believer in: just keep pressing buttons and you will get info. Sounds too simplistic, I know, but it works for me.
When we just had a laptop I was terrified to do anything as my OH would put the face on and say, What have you done?
Now I have my own iPad and the different things I have found out by just " pressing" buttons is amazing.
Tell your parents, they can't break it. Just play��
I wish they were near me and I could help.