Gransnet forums

Technology

Advice - new phone and/or MP3

(7 Posts)
messenger Mon 20-May-13 20:12:36

Hi all...onto `smart` phones are we....well I`ve got a Samsung Galaxy 3 I think but yes the damn things TOO smart for me...going back to my old Motorola basic ...phone out recieve in text and no `all singing all dancing`bull....confused

Pittcity Mon 20-May-13 19:42:34

Depends on your eyesight. You could get a smartphone with a big screen that can be a phone, radio, MP3, Kindle and more for £15 a month. I'd go into carphone warehouse or phones4u and tell them what you need and how much you want to pay. They can even help you set up the apps you would need to use.

ayse Mon 20-May-13 16:17:55

Thanks eposmike smile

eposmike Fri 17-May-13 16:43:49

I have a Galaxy y, the y stands for young. It has a very small on screen keyboard so that it is very easy to make mistakes. I use a Nexus 7 tablet and only use the phone to get on the Internet when I am out of wireless range.

ayse Fri 17-May-13 15:49:31

Thanks for that smile

petallus Fri 17-May-13 15:27:55

I have a Blackberry phone and an ipad. I just bought an ipod touch (generation 4 because they are so much cheaper than the latest generation 5 and perfectly adequate) to replace my nano ipod.

I love the ipod touch. As well as storing and playing music you can download apps, read books, listen to radio, take photos. In fact, the ipod can do anything an iphone can do except make calls and send texts and it is really just like a small ipad.

I would recommend an ipod touch.

ayse Fri 17-May-13 14:42:16

Hello All.

I need a new phone as my is not too efficient anymore at recharging. I currently have an old Nokia and only use it for texts, calls and mostly listening to the radio.

I was wondering I should buy an MP3/4 player for the radio and another cheapo phone (fully paid) just for calls as I'm not into all the downloading stuff.

However, our landline is with TalkTalk and I could have a 24 month contract with a phone for £5.00 per month (galaxy y) or a phone plus an tablet for £15per month.

I also should say that my Kobo decided to revert to Chinese (or other oriental language) so I can't use that either. I rather like downloading books, especially from Gutenberg. I'd also like to download library books but couldn't fathom out how to do it with the Kobo. That's why I bought the Kobo in the first place rather than a Kindle!

Any advice gratefully received

confused