Gransnet forums

Technology

iPhone locked

(14 Posts)
MiceElf Fri 07-Jun-13 16:37:18

Suddenly, my iPhone has started speaking in a dreadful American voice. It tells me the time and says to enter my passcode (the four numbers) I've done this and it won't open. The numbers appear with a frame around them, and the voice says full security required. I've backed it up on the big computer in iTunes, to no avail.

Help please someone.

nightowl Fri 07-Jun-13 20:12:52

MiceElf I have not experienced this and I'm not at all technically minded, but the only thing I know how to do when my iPhone plays up is to reset it by holding down the button at the top and the home button at the front of the phone. Hold them both until the screen goes black and then the silver apple appears, when it will turn itself back on. Sorry if you already know this but I had had mine for over a year before I learnt this from my daughter! Failing that you will need to take it to your nearest iPhone shop where they will sort it out or replace it if it's still under warranty.

janeainsworth Fri 07-Jun-13 20:29:14

miceElf I have googled 'iPhone locked and speaking in American voice' and it appears there is a bug associated with IOS 6.... It sounds very technical so I would be off to the shop with it sad

Nelliemoser Fri 07-Jun-13 20:50:10

Are you sure its not being hi jacked as part of a scam? I would be wary of this.

MiceElf Fri 07-Jun-13 22:33:37

Thanks for this. It sounds scary. I'm going to ask DS tomorrow and see if he can sort it out rin the light of these responses. He set it up for me in the first place.

Galen Fri 07-Jun-13 23:35:41

That's what I do in extremis!
Des is a computernerd expert!

Bags Sat 08-Jun-13 06:16:54

DH has iOS6 plus the developer part. He hasn't come across that bug. I would reset initially, as nightowl suggests. Then check for software updates of any apps you run on it.

MiceElf Sat 08-Jun-13 06:36:29

Thanks. It's only a 4! It was cheaper. I did try the reset and that didn't work. I updated the few apps I have on it a week ago and there was no indication at 10.00 am yesterday that I needed to update. Then at 2.00 pm I tried to use it and the voice boomed out and the screen was locked. So frustrating.

Bags Sat 08-Jun-13 07:02:46

Try "powering off" and leaving it off for a while (a few minutes). Just press the button on the top until a power off message appears. Yes that.

To switch back on, press the same button until the silver apple appears.

You don't need to use the indented button on the front.

If that doesn't help, a hike into an Apple store with it might!Good luck.

MiceElf Sat 08-Jun-13 07:24:58

Right, I'll do that just as soon as I get my back off the mattress! I hope it works I can think of a million things I'd rather do than visit an apple store....

glammanana Sat 08-Jun-13 09:15:16

Mine is religated to the drawer in the kitchen it is more trouble than it's worth I have gone back to my tried and trusted old blackberry one of the first one's out I've never had any trouble with it,to much tech stuff gives me a headache.

MiceElf Sat 08-Jun-13 19:15:54

Sorted! By my son. It seems that someone, no names but the finger of suspicion points to grandson, had pressed the button three times and turned on something called 'deaf mode'. Hence the robotic voice. He went into settings and clicked and pressed lots of stuff and now it's accessible again.
Memo to self. Do not let little fingers near gadgets.

Bags Sat 08-Jun-13 19:26:45

smile

whenim64 Sat 08-Jun-13 19:28:25

Mice grin my four year old grandsons have learned how to hide one app within another on my iphone. Apparently certain apps already installed as factory settings can contain other apps. My contacts, Google and a couple of games disappeared and when I re-installed them, they hid where I coudn't find them. Took a Vodaphone salesperson to find them for me!