Gransnet forums

Technology

worldwide use of Vodafone dongle

(4 Posts)
jeanie99 Sat 01-Feb-14 15:42:27

We are in Egypt at the moment, the cost of using my netbook on WIFI at the hotel is expensive so someone suggested a Vodafone dongle with usage which I could purchase from the Mall.
I paid £27 for a months usage which included the dongle and it's worked out really well as I use the Internet for e-mails and research and Skype to contact my family and friends and I can use it in the hotel room.

What I would like to know is can I use this same dongle around the world, son said I need to buy a sim card for the different countries.
I'm not sure how this works and my son has little patience, he seems to think I know everything which I don't.
Do I buy the usage in each country and the sim and is this from Vodafone and how long does a dongle last.
We are going on a long trip next year visiting several countries so this form of communication would be very useful as my family worry about us when we are traveling and like to keep in touch.
Many thanks

lefthanded Sat 01-Feb-14 18:50:07

I can't answer your "dongle" question, but I can offer an alternative solution. Have you tried McDonald's? Every McDonald's I have been in (in Europe and the US) has free wifi. You don't have to eat there - just buy a cup of coffee and get out your laptop. In some countries you might even find the coffee is quite good smile

petra Sat 01-Feb-14 19:51:31

I remember you mentioning your road trip. In your situation, when booking your hotels I would make sure they have Wifi in ALL areas.
All I do know is, that when we were taking the Motohome around Europe we bought a sim for each country.

petra Sat 01-Feb-14 19:53:13

It's not a problem. All large shopping malls have a counter selling them and most of the people spoke English.