Gransnet forums

Technology

DVD player

(7 Posts)
YankeeGran Sat 22-Feb-14 12:34:23

OK - it's got some age on it (10 years?) but it's recently becoming more and more temperamental in that it will play some DVDs and not others. No rhyme or reason can be detected. When it's refusing to play, it says "reading disc", followed by "insert disc", so failing to recognize there's already one in the machine.

I think we need a new DVD player but my husband is concerned that if there's a more fundamental problem, getting anew DVD player won't solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Lona Sat 22-Feb-14 12:36:03

Are your dvds clean or well worn and mucky dusty?

YankeeGran Sat 22-Feb-14 12:46:40

We have a brand new set of 4 discs, some of which play and some not. We've tried cleaning the non -playing ones with a micro cloth, with no change in result

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-14 13:13:01

When we used to play audio tapes on a tape player, you could get a "cleaning tape" that cleaned the bits that actually touched the tape to play it and got dirty. Maybe a thingy (technical term) inside the DVD player is dirty. Can you get something that would clean it?

I have a feeling that sloshing about inside with soap and water might not be a good idea!

Wow! Just Googled and found this on Amazon!

petra Wed 26-Feb-14 16:13:54

Just a thought. Are any of the ' non playing DVDs' from the Chinese man in the pub. They can be non players.

sunseeker Thu 27-Feb-14 09:19:35

Use a special DVD to clean the "head" in the player

Elegran Thu 27-Feb-14 09:25:45

They've got them on Amazon.