Gransnet forums

Technology

Computer security

(43 Posts)
Rider Sat 10-Jan-15 12:21:59

What security measures do you use? Why were they chosen?

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 20:20:20

Macs were more secure because there were fewer of them, therefore not worth the effort to attack. However they are now much more common and the hackers are now targeting them. Also because they were not often attacked their security systems have not improved on Macs to the same level as PC's.

So you should still use anti virus software with a Mac.

As I said before the greatest risk by far is spam and phishing, Macs are equally subject to attack as PC's, and as Mac user can be complacent, perhaps more so.

MargaretX Sun 11-Jan-15 19:30:47

For security I use an Apple desktop computer.

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 17:09:02

As an ex IT professional responsible for networking, over 20 years I have only had one instance of being hacked, and that was a private web site, caused inconvenience but no more. I suspect (if I could remember) I have been ripped off in real life much more in those years.
Like flying, it appears risky, but is in fact quite safe it simple precautions are taken.
Online banking is protected by the banks themselves, if things go wrong and you are not negligent, they take the hit (or at least the major UK banks do).

I suspect losing your cheque book is more dangerous that losing your credit card.

Rider Sun 11-Jan-15 16:55:19

think you're right rockgran. Modern day communication can carry risks. I often think there is no way of staying completely private online. On the other hand, I've been online since about 1996 and nothing harmful has happened so far. If all the tracking and profiling of my IP address was going to affect everyday life, I'm sure it would have done so by now.

I don't have a smartphone, so not very well up on how to stay private and secure with them. My current phone only makes phone calls ..and only rarely at that. Mostly just carried in case I need to be contacted while I'm out on the bicycle.

Virgin Media keep offering a smartphone for a low price but I don't think I'd make good use of it.

rockgran Sun 11-Jan-15 15:31:27

I think this is an interesting thread, Rider. It is good that the first reaction was suspicion - even if you were a little hurt by it. sad So many of us now use the internet with very little knowledge of what we are revealing and to whom. However, there is a risk in all types of communication - letters go astray, phone calls can be overheard, etc. I wouldn't say anything on a site like this that I wouldn't say in any other public place.
If I use a banking site I am very cautious, but I have been known to leave my purse on the counter of the post office so that was pretty risky too!
I worry more about smartphone security in public areas. Our phones are now mini computers but many people are quite blasé about using them when they would be very security conscious on their home pc.

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 14:07:34

As Rider says WOT says the site is safe, but I will err on the side of safety and not by pass my security, as it's configured by those much more informed than myself.

As I said earlier, if in doubt, don't.

Rider Sun 11-Jan-15 13:44:02

I used to be a television/video recorder engineer. When I stopped doing that, I put a web site together that gave symptoms and causes for common faults that occurred on those items. Also offered advice via e-mail.

I made a study of how to get the site near the top of the search engine rankings and for a while, if TV (and/or) video repairs advice was typed into Google, it was at the top of the list. Any words near those and it was still on the first page. This lasted a couple of months and then others made more of an effort than I did and it slid down the rankings.

The site is no longer there because my knowledge was pre-flat screen (CRT TVs) and not many have VHS video recorders any more. It was interesting while it lasted though.

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 13:13:36

Elegran. I also tried googling and found the same site, still blocked by my system, would not trust. As you say there are other more trustworthy sites giving the same info.

The fact that a site is at the top of the list does not mean it is popular. There are many ways to get your site at the top of the list, paying Google works quite well !
My son worked for a company that provided exactly that service, ensuring your web site always appeared at the top of searches etc.
I used to manage a club web site, only took me a few days to get it high on the list, without paying anything.

Rider Sun 11-Jan-15 12:55:45

I use a browser extension called WOT. This stands for Web Of Trust and is a free service that rates sites for safety. It gives a green (good) rating for the site Elegran has linked to. Just shows how two programs don't agree sometimes.

As a point of interest, this is where running browsers in a sandbox can help. Even if there is anything malicious on a site, it will be contained within the sandbox and won't get out to harm the system.

Rider Sun 11-Jan-15 12:47:33

All points taken smile.

The trouble is that no computer security program is infallible. They can all have a failure rate. Some do better than others and it's often best to do a little research and supplement an AV program with other layers of security.

That aside, there are the PUPs (*P*otentially Unwanted Programs) that can be installed if not careful. These seem to be almost as much of a nuisance as viruses and trojans. They add search engines, take over browser home pages and can be a real job to get rid of once installed.

This usually happens when installing free programs and the default installation procedure is accepted. Always best to take the 'custom installation' and be sure to un-tick any additional software that isn't wanted. Having said that, I have read of cases where people were certain they had un-ticked the boxes but still got the unwanted software installed anyway.

The above may already be known about but perhaps not why AV programs tend not to give an alert or prevent PUPs from installing. The fact is that PUPs aren't illegal because they don't actually harm the computer or stop it from working. There was the options given not to install them and they should be uninstallable if they do get onto the computer (so they say). As such, I read that there could be legal issues for AV companies if they block this type of software from installing. Just interesting to know maybe.

Elegran Sun 11-Jan-15 12:42:16

I found it by googling, pompa and it was top of the first page, so it is popular!

The text was interesting - about all the ways that your email address can be picked up and used, but I don't think I would follow any of the links on it, as your security system is so suspicious.

There are other articles online on the subject.

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 12:25:56

Elegran, interestingly, my security system blocks the link you have just given, and as it comes from Israel, I would be very suspicious.

Any Gner that can open it, be careful.

Elegran Sun 11-Jan-15 12:17:59

Article on How do spammers harvest email addresses

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 12:10:28

IMO, our biggest risk to security is email. Yesterday I received 15 emails all trying to trick me into disclosing personal information that would result in my PC and data being compromised. These spammers are getting far more devious every day. They try to get you to log into their site through a whole range of ruses. I think those that frighten the user into thinking they have inadvertently spent money from their accounts are the most nasty.

NEVER trust any email that asks you to log on to a site via a link in the email.
NEVER open any email that does not have a subject.
NEVER open open a link within an email unless you are 100% sure you know it to be safe (do not be fooled by emails that appear to come from friends, their email may have been hacked)
I would NEVER open links sent by friends that I did not request.

If you are unsure - don't. If it is a company (bank etc) login to your account via their main web site and check. Or, if from a friend, email them and check that they knowingly sent it.

Think, if these scams did not work, they would not be sent.

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 11:53:16

To have a thread regarding how we can make ourselves more secure is great. The fact that is was started in a manner which some found intrusive is a shame, but the idea is sound.
Rider, don't be put off posting what you think. There are always some that will dislike your posts, some that will love them and most won't care.
All GNers can have their say and state their opinion, for or against, provided they are respectful, it's all grist to the mill.

Elegran's response is perfectly valid and should be heeded, if a little sharp!

We do NOT want anyone disclosing personal information that would make them open to abuse.

I tend not to worry about my personal information on here, as anyone who wants to know more about me could find it on many places on the web.

Rider Sun 11-Jan-15 11:35:36

No, I wouldn't argue with that Elegran. I'm perhaps not a very good topic starter ..and new here. I've filled a bit in on my Profile now if you'd care to look. smile

Elegran Sun 11-Jan-15 11:10:34

A discussion of security measures covers more than which security product we buy.

It seemed to me that there was a danger of people drifting into saying things like "I am afraid I don't use any security measures on my computer, I am terribly trusting. " or "I always hide the front door key under the third plantpot on the left. It is quite invisible." or "I live next door to the Police Station in XXXXXXX so I leave my doors and windows open all day, even when I am out. No-one would burgle the house next to the cop shop"

Elegran Sun 11-Jan-15 11:01:48

Rider I think your original post was a bit short and lacked any detail - it was just a stark question. If you had explained WHY you were asking, it would have sounded more like conversation.

But even if you had (and don't take this personally) we have had people join the forum just to post spam about their product or website, slipping a link or a reference into a conversation that starts off like any other chatty post. So a touch of cynicism is a good thing. I don't think you will argue with that.

Rider Sun 11-Jan-15 10:51:32

It wasn't so much a question pompa but more of a way of opening a discussion ..probably a poor one. Saying what security programs are used doesn't compromise people's computers or privacy in any way. So many do get infected one way or another that it can be a good thing to discuss what others find successful, what to be careful of and the options that are available.

I didn't think when opening the sort of topic found in many places on the Internet, it would lead to talking about there being a risk in discussing it. There isn't but sorry to those who thought it wrong. I'll stick to mostly just reading and occasionally adding to threads started by others ..if I think I can contribute.

pompa Sun 11-Jan-15 09:41:09

I think that the only concern about answering Riders questions are if your security level is poor. I suggest you watch the video I posted earlier. You will then see that the answers to all his questions can easily be obtained (legally) by anyone with a £100 to spend on a bit of kit.

If you don't want to disclose anything (passwords - NEVER). At least make sure you are using WAP2 (not WEP or WAP, or heaven forbid nothing !).
Make sure you have strong passwords that include a mix of upper/lower case, numbers and symbols, never a recognisable word.

As you will see from the video, my son's company provides network security systems for businesses, so I do have some knowledge of the subject.

Rider Sun 11-Jan-15 00:25:05

Elegran - I hope you don't still think I was trying to gain anything by starting this thread. The remarks stung a bit a because the post was well-intentioned but I can't really blame you for being suspicious of a newcomer. However, I am just a home computer user like anyone else here and not a professional.

I probably should learn to stay away from forums. It's so easy to be ill-thought of or taken the wrong way.

pompa Sat 10-Jan-15 22:02:38

How to hack into WEP is openly on the web and only takes 15 minutes.

pompa Sat 10-Jan-15 21:53:31

WPA2 is what you want. Older versions WEP, WPA, can be bypassed by those with a little know how.

Rider Sat 10-Jan-15 21:33:12

Sorry rockgran, understood. smile

I watched the video pompa. It certainly looks like wi-fi security is something that needs drawing attention to. I'm with Virgin Media and have a Superhub. Wireless security is set to 'wpa2-psk (aes)', which I hope is OK. I believe it is the most secure Superhub setting for the home user.

By the way, I'm a cyclists too but not half as fast or fit as your Son smile

pompa Sat 10-Jan-15 18:42:23

oops forgot the link to the video.

www.hbpsystems.co.uk/warbiking/