Gransnet forums

Technology

Fake Firefox survey

(8 Posts)
Rider Mon 26-Jan-15 22:22:21

Running another cleaner perhaps wouldn't hurt but Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)is a good program and has most likely completely got rid of the malware. I think all you can do now is keep a look out for any unusual computer behaviour.

The paid version of MBAM could be considered at some time. It is designed to run alongside the AV program and it adds another layer of realtime (monitoring/running in the background) security.

Also, have you ever heard of disk imaging? This can be a lifesaver if ever you get an infection so deep-seated that it is difficult to get rid of.

durhamjen Mon 26-Jan-15 22:20:38

My Firefox put it in the spam folder and gave me a warning when it did!
Firefox works.

Elegran Mon 26-Jan-15 21:52:25

Malwarebytes was the one. It seemed to fix it.

Yes, I was very careful to avoid the free trial of the paid one. I've met that way of getting you signed up for an automatic update at the end of the trial period before.

The update window that I fell for was just today, so the malware has not been sitting around on my computer - and there was a warning in the form of a window informing me that something had tried to close down AVG in an unusual way.

Rider Mon 26-Jan-15 20:06:20

What malware scanning program did you use? Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a popular one. A lesser-known but often recommended program is AdwCleaner (links below):

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
AdwCleaner

If installing Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware, read the options carefully and don't enable the free trial of the paid version ..and as usual, always go through the installation options of free programs carefully and un-tick any options to install unwanted software. I don't think there is any if the links above are used but it can't be guaranteed.

Regarding what antivirus program is best: As well as taking personal recommendations into account, it might also be helpful to take a look at the findings of a few AV program testing sites (links below). Although the results shown may be for security suites, the engines used are likely to be the same in the company's standalone AV programs ...free versions or paid.

AV-Comparatives
AV-Test (click 'Home User')
Virus Bulletin (click on the graph to enlarge)

Elegran Mon 26-Jan-15 11:52:46

Thank you stansgran

Stansgran Mon 26-Jan-15 11:46:20

My computer man recommends Avast! and it does come up with useful warnings as DH is a great one for poking around on emails. He is beginning to learn to look before he leaps.

Elegran Mon 26-Jan-15 11:31:45

Further to this - after getting that "survey" I ran a malware search.

it turns out that I have added malware at some time by believing that a window saying "Time to update Firefox" - with what looked like a Firefox logo - and clicking on it. It called PUM.CHROME>EXTPOL and adds several files. The malware searcher had quarantined them. I am now trying to find put whether that is enough, or whather I have to do anything else.

Moral - always do updates direct from the application or from the manufacturer's legitimate website, don't believe a pop-up window.

Elegran Mon 26-Jan-15 10:56:46

If you use firefox, watch out for a fake survey, which looks as though it comes from Firefox and says you are today's lucky user, and you will be get a gift for filling it in. I filled in some innocuous questions like how often you use Firefox, then I was taken to a screen where I had to choose between winning (yes winning, not being given) £1000 from either Tesco, Asda, or Sainsburys.

At that point I stated to wonder, and looked more closely at the Firefox logo - it was not quite the same as it should have been, and there was even a disclaimer at the foot of the page to say that they had no connection with Firefox - in small print.

I don't know what the scam is, maybe just to get my email address to post spam to, but I bailed out at that point, and I have informed Firefox.