Gransnet forums

Technology

Google

(24 Posts)
Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 21:01:38

Someone has sent me some photos to look at but I have to open a Google account to view them. Is it safe to do so? I've reached the point where I have to click the 'agree' button but can't bring myself to do so shock....

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 21:05:16

Why do you have to open a Google account? I thought it was just a search engine (one of many). I've always accessed it with no problem.

merlotgran Wed 25-Mar-15 21:06:17

If you know who sent them can you not ask them to re send them to your normal e-mail account or via facebook?

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 21:06:40

Or is it just asking you to agree to their terms and conditions? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 21:27:07

Do you mean Gmail? That's a very good email account.

Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 21:27:53

I'm not sure. Usually people send photos via an attachment which I download and then open. I don't know them well enough to keep asking them to send the photos a different way. I use Google to search for most things but this seems different. I don't understand Facebook either blush.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 21:27:59

Go on. Click it. It'll be fine.

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 21:38:56

Yes, I think it will be, too. It's not as though you suspect it's any sort of scam.

Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 21:46:52

It just says Google Accounts; does that mean my email won't be AOL any more though?

Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 21:48:15

....I daren't risk anything going wrong with the ancient pooter before the Aintree festival...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 21:52:23

grin heaven forbid!

You can have more than one email account.

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 21:53:32

On second thoughts, don't risk it Tegan! I know what you mean about not upsetting the applecart as regards an ageing computer.

If you right-click on your mouse can you open the attachments in anything else that you already have?

Grannyknot Wed 25-Mar-15 21:54:52

Perhaps the photos are shared via Google drive? Google is not only a search engine. I'd click if I were you!

Grannyknot Wed 25-Mar-15 21:57:12

What's more important 're safeguarding your computer, is to have proper antivirus protection.

merlotgran Wed 25-Mar-15 22:02:47

You'll still have AOL, Tegan, just don't click on the bit where it says 'Do you want Google to be your default account?'

If you get it wrong and you download something you don't want you can get rid of it by either doing 'system restore' or going into your control panel, selecting programmes to uninstall and deleting it.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 22:08:33

Don't blind 'er with science. She'll never click. hmm

wink

Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 23:06:14

I'm hovering over it; I have clicked to bit about not wanting it to be my main page. I've got Yahoo email as well [because AOL, for some reason doesn't like it's members joining things so I have to do that via Yahoo].

Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 23:07:54

.....mind you, I doubt if I'll be able to see the photos anyway. My pooter has a mini breakdown when I look on Facebook as it gets dazzled by too many images all at one time....

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 23:08:24

Click the fucking button. hmm

rosequartz Wed 25-Mar-15 23:11:23

I think I have a google account (at least that's what it says when I open chrome) although I don't remember opening it and can't remember the password blush
I use gmail and that seems to be separate.

Apart from that, no problems!

Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 23:42:13

Well I've joined Mr Googles club but still can't access the photos [keep getting the ruddy egg timer thingy]. Apart from that the pooter hasn't blown up. I'll introduce Mr Google to the Satnav lady and they might disappear into the sunset together....

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Mar-15 10:10:51

Have you now got a Gmail account? I get photos of the kids sent via mine ok.

grumppa Thu 26-Mar-15 10:47:11

When I 'went Android' on my smartphone I opened a gmail (= googlemail) account which I run alongside my aol account without any problems; except that DD2, who is also on gmail, now mails me on that rather than aol, and I don't know she's sent them if I'm using laptop or iPad.

petra Sun 29-Mar-15 19:24:34

Jingle. Love it. You reminded me of Judy Dench in the James Bond film (can't remember the name)