Gransnet forums

Technology

What would happen to your online accounts if you were to die?

(72 Posts)
Elegran Mon 06-Apr-15 14:08:55

Don't want to be morbid, but if you were to die tomorrow, what would become of your Gransnet personality, your Facebook page, the photos you have stored online? How do we protect our digital legacy after death?

durhamjen Mon 06-Apr-15 21:01:15

How do you know they have left?

Ana Mon 06-Apr-15 21:09:46

I think MiceElf left around the same time you joined, soontobe - what a coincidence!

I do miss Nonu, I must admit.

Soutra Mon 06-Apr-15 21:12:08

I see posts from rosesarered- all the time confused but I agree we haven't heard from Nonu for a while or MiceElf . However as DJ says, did you really overlap by that long? I know one or two members have changed their names, usually for reasons of confidentiality, but maybe more for all I know. Nonu might be posting under another name for all we know.

So right we are opposites soontobe, but you won't need to miss me as I ain't going nowhere, as far as I know!

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 21:13:12

No. She was around for a while. I couldnt tell you how long. About 2 or 3 months I think.

So posters dont miss others?

Soutra Mon 06-Apr-15 21:13:25

Ana are you suggesting soontobe might be a reincarnation of MceElf?? tbuconfused

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 21:13:36

In general, that is?

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 21:14:20

I was wondering that Soutra. But she was nothing like me!

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 21:14:55

She was an ex teacher if I remember correctly.

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 21:18:21

I think rosesarered more or less disappeared for a couple of months.

I think that this site is too small for some posters, to be able to fly under the radar for long.

Ana Mon 06-Apr-15 21:21:36

Soutra, I am suggesting nothing!

But I think it's odd, soontobe, that you would even notice that MiceElf hadn't posted for a while, never mind know anything about her profile.

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 21:24:29

As I hinted upthread, she was a poster who helped me.
She pmed, or else I pmed her[I cant remember which and cant be bothered to take a look who pmed first] about a slightly complicated teaching matter. She was most helpful.

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 21:26:27

Do you really think that I am MiceElf. Good grief!

Ana Mon 06-Apr-15 21:42:00

Well I'm pretty sure you're not Nonu!

Soutra Mon 06-Apr-15 21:48:39

Speculation is futile, though, is it not?

absent Mon 06-Apr-15 21:50:59

There are plenty of gransnet members who post very rarely or never post at all. Just look at the names that pop up out of the blue when there is a competition or a freebie. There is one poster whose name I was struck by in the early days and who has posted only once, I think, since 2011 (some time last year). If people don't want to post but wish to remain members, we have no way of knowing; nor do we need to.

soontobe You remind me of a couple of previous gransnetters, but MiceElf is not one of them.

Soutra Mon 06-Apr-15 22:14:18

I thought that was somebody else soontobe, I don't ever remember you saying you were a teacher, but we did have a member with a problem regarding supply teaching agencies. Was that you perhaps?

CeeCee Mon 06-Apr-15 22:22:16

Spooky! They are just discussing this very issue on BBC News

Ana Mon 06-Apr-15 22:27:17

absent, if someone was really clever and wanted to disguise their previous identity, of course their current persona wouldn't remind you of anyone.

Just saying.

Soutra Mon 06-Apr-15 22:38:16

Not sure where you are going with this Ana. While I am sure a person could try to disguise their style, aren't they always at risk from saying more than they should? Or perhaps their style of writing is distinctive and that can give it away. So I think successfully disguising their identity over a long period could be hard work.
Anyway - why bother?

durhamjen Mon 06-Apr-15 22:46:30

Exactly, Soutra. What's the point? Surely anyone on here is sufficiently grown-up to stand up for their ideas without needing to disguise a previous identity.

Galen Mon 06-Apr-15 22:47:50

Quite!

durhamjen Mon 06-Apr-15 22:49:35

Are you a teacher, soontobe?

Ana Mon 06-Apr-15 23:01:21

I'm not going anywhere with anything, I was just remarking that it could be possible to make up a whole new persona for youself if you were clever enough to disguise your previous identity.

Lets not pretend it's never been attempted before.

Ana Mon 06-Apr-15 23:03:13

As for 'why bother?', I'd have thought that was obvious. confused

durhamjen Mon 06-Apr-15 23:06:23

Sorry, not obvious to me, or Soutra, or Galen.