Gransnet forums

Technology

Bought a new printer

(16 Posts)
glammanana Wed 15-Apr-15 08:48:03

jeanie99 You are doing brilliantly I would have been lost just connecting the thing I am so dopey with techy stuff,I didn't know you had to run the driver when you first connected I thought you just plugged in and away you went so you are a marvel in my eyes. grin

jeanie99 Wed 15-Apr-15 00:00:06

After all that the printer was faulty so had to return it to PC World.
Son helped me out with the connection to netbook and WIFI by doing it all for me remotely, thank goodness for my son.
I hadn't realised I should have to run the driver again, thought since I had done this for the faulty one I didn't need to do it again.

I didn't need to use a computer until I was in my 50s so all this is new to me.

Stansgran Thu 09-Apr-15 17:52:20

I buy cheap cartridges from my local computer store but the clever girl there told me to buy the printers own black ink as it contains cleaner and keeps the whole lot working. As the Epson one varies in price between £16.99 and£22 and the whole cheap pack is £14.99 I'm finding this successful financially.

jeanie99 Thu 09-Apr-15 15:23:10

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone in Tech interest group, you are a great group of people and if you can't help I always get a laugh from what is said.

Can't say that for all the other groups.

Have a good day.

jeanie99 Thu 09-Apr-15 15:20:39

JOLLY G meant lager yes, the old brain is gradually breaking down.

I am at this moment looking for comparable ink cartridges. The set up cartridges I don't think will last long.

jollyg Thu 09-Apr-15 14:44:11

Is it a larger or lager or a big coffee.

Ask the repair wallah to down load the Epson printer driver as per 2015.

These companies do try to confuse , dont forget printer ink is more expensive per ml than champagne.

They can sell the printers at knockdown prices, knowing we need ink, sometimes its cheaper to buy a new printer, sell the old one on ebay.

Rest in a darkened room is required for excitement...... enjoy

jeanie99 Thu 09-Apr-15 14:32:25

I'm not sure how I have done it but I have managed to print a letter.

I think a larger is in order.

When my laptop comes back from being repaired I shall have to go through all this again.

Life just doesn't get anymore exciting!!!!

jeanie99 Thu 09-Apr-15 13:00:36

notice the cartridge was not inserted the same as the rest took it out and back again and it's alright.
set up to the wifi as per the instructions on the screen.

netbook doesn't recognize printer so trying to sort that out, what a nightmare this is.

driver I was told to download is not what i need so didn't work, have downloaded another one as per Epson.

flying by the seat of my pants at this moment, in desperate need of a cup of strong coffee

jollyg Thu 09-Apr-15 09:16:52

Should have bought a Canon, so simple to set up.

Too late now tho

Rider Wed 08-Apr-15 22:00:18

As regards the black ink cartridge, it sounds as if it may not be inserted properly. Did the plastic strip (usually yellow) stuck to the cartridge peel off cleanly and completely? Also, when putting a complete set of inks in the printer, the black cartridge may need inserting last.

Didn't the printer come with an installation CD? Just wondering why you had to download a driver when the driver and software should come with the printer on a disk.

You don't need to have the printer installed to get the instructions. They can be obtained by going to Epson's support page for the model of printer that you have. See 'Manuals & Documentation' at the bottom of the page linked to below.

XP322 Support Page

Hope this might help but if not, the support centre will no doubt be available again in the morning.

merlotgran Wed 08-Apr-15 20:41:05

grin

Life used to be so simple.

Anne58 Wed 08-Apr-15 20:39:07

"There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza dear Liza, there's a hole in my bucket, in my bucket a hole!"

Mishap Wed 08-Apr-15 20:32:15

grin You beat me to it galen!

Galen Wed 08-Apr-15 19:19:08

It's very simple. You connect up the printer and find the manual on the computer, print it out, it then tells you how to install the printer!
Simples grin

jeanie99 Wed 08-Apr-15 18:18:54

Continued
Forgot to say there is no manual with the printer, it seems to be the thing these days with everything.
It was the same with the camera I bought last year, no manual you could flick through.
I would rather pay a little extra and get something I can read at leisure or at least have a choice of buying one or not.

Moan Moan Moan, really fed up.

jeanie99 Wed 08-Apr-15 18:16:19

Bought an Epson XP322 today and have spent goodness knows how long trying to get my netbook to recognise it.

Took ages to download a new driver with the help of the chat room at Epson. The people were very helpful but it took forever because I know nothing and they are now closed until tomorrow.
I've put in the ink cartridges which came with it and the screen on the printer says it doesn't recognize the black cartridge.
I basically don't know what I am doing.
These are times when it would be great to have my son local instead of miles away in London.
Had to have a moan to get it off my chest,I am just so fed up.