Gransnet forums

Technology

New laptop for DH

(8 Posts)
olive2709 Fri 10-Apr-15 15:39:47

Want to get new laptop for DH need 15·5 screen trying to find a lightweight one he uploads a lot of photos so tablet no good the only other. things he uses it for are e-mail Facebook and a bit of shopping any ideas

glammanana Fri 10-Apr-15 15:48:05

I have used an Acer Aspire for 5yrs now olive and have found it so reliable has a good screen and keyboard they do come much lighter now but I can honestly say it has served me well,I also use an Acer tablet but as you say its not really practical for what he wants.

pompa Fri 10-Apr-15 17:02:32

I bought my current laptop directly from HP (http://store.hp.com/), I could not better their special offers anywhere. Ordered at 3pm, delivered 9:30 next morning. Very pleased with it.

Pittcity Tue 09-Jun-15 20:38:32

My ancient laptop has just died, so I too would like recommendations.
I do most stuff on my android tablet, but there are some things that really need a bigger screen. I will really only use it for t'internet. Cheap and cheerful is fine!

tanith Tue 09-Jun-15 22:02:54

I use an Acer Aspire too, I'm very happy with it..

Pittcity Tue 09-Jun-15 22:17:48

Ads for Acer Aspire from Amazon have now popped up on the side of this page - probably trying to tell me sonething.

durhamjen Tue 09-Jun-15 22:19:14

I have a Samsung, five years old, which I am very happy with. I do lots of photos, too.
We bought our granddaughter a similar one as she used mine and liked it for her university stuff. She's had that 3 years and no problems.
My grandson gets annoyed if I say my computer. He thinks it's half his as he does all his learning on it when he's at my house.

NanaMacGeek Tue 09-Jun-15 23:40:00

If your DH is a really serious photographer and you want to get him the best laptop for photography, then you should at least look at a 15" MacBook Pro.
The retina screen is amazing and, coupled with a suitable photogpraphic app, the quality and clarity of images and the ability to manipulate them cannot be matched by mid range computers.
Yes, I know how expensive they are. I suppose you should think about the quality of the eqipment that DH uses to take his photos. If he takes pride in his photography, he needs a computer that can do them justice. This is really just a suggestion as no one has mentioned Apple so far. You need to spend some time looking at laptops and ask questions about their photographic display quality and the best photographic apps that can be run on them. Another thing to bear in mind is a back-up solution for precious photos.