Gransnet forums

Technology

Who sent that?

(25 Posts)
Greyduster Mon 03-Aug-15 13:12:05

Does anyone know why text messages I receive on my phone are being answered - but I haven't answered them! For instance, recently I received a text from DD. When I opened it, it appeared that I had already sent a reply saying "I'm in a meeting at the moment"! Was not in a meeting and had not been in any meetings! No-one could explain it. This morning, I got a text message from SiL asking if GS could FaceTime us. They are on holiday. Underneath was a reply "OK". At that stage, I had only just opened it - hadn't even had the chance to reply! Have I got some ghostly alter ego who is answering my messages?

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 13:41:19

Spooky grin. I hope someone can explain it for you.

NannyGoat12345 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:48:09

I don't know what phone you have, but some have standard texts set up so that you can reply quickly, such as 'I'm in a meeting at the moment'.... have you somehow selected this by accident and sent it? (Albeit, not meaning to).

Coolgran65 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:52:11

Sounds like it has been set up to provide automatic responses .....

Anya Mon 03-Aug-15 14:00:48

Oh dear! DH did the same thing. He's always fiddling about putting on strange settings and not realising it. Somehow me managed to divert calls to his mobile to my son's Iandline.

If you are technically minded go into your settings and take off whatever it is you've set up. Otherwise find a son/daughter/OH/etc to do it for you. If you have a grandchild over 5 years of age they'll be able to do it too grin

Greyduster Mon 03-Aug-15 14:14:13

Fortunately, my grandchild over 5 is on holiday - if I let him have my phone, I'd never get it back! Thankyou all for the replies - didn't know about automatic replies! I don't know if my phone has that setting, but I'll try and have a look and see if it is enabled. Knew someone on GN would have an answer!

Lona Mon 03-Aug-15 15:09:48

I've just flicked through my iPhone because I know I can set those automated replies, but I'm blowed if I can find out where they are!! Sorry hmm

Greyduster Mon 03-Aug-15 16:13:19

Mm! Serves me right for getting excited - I can't find it either. I have consulted the manual and looked ont' t'internet but nothing helpful. Will ask DS next time I speak to him. Maybe he, or one of the tech savvi step-GS's, will have a take on it. Onward and Upward!

Lona Mon 03-Aug-15 16:15:58

Where's Pompa when you need him? smile

shysal Mon 03-Aug-15 16:43:28

On my Samsung phone 'Reject call with this message' comes up at the bottom of the screen while it is ringing. I have accidentally touched it in the past and a list of standard texts comes up.
It is only visible when you have an incoming call ringing, so no wonder you couldn't find it!

Anya Mon 03-Aug-15 16:57:56

On my android, I go yo the phone icon, and then the drop down menu for call settings. Then to general settings and quick responses. If any of these are ticked then untick.

janeainsworth Mon 03-Aug-15 16:58:29

Hi Greyduster.
I've just been looking at my iphone.
If you go into settings >Phone>respond with text
there are some alternative messages. Perhaps if you check your phone to see if this has been activated?

On my phone there's a pre-loaded app called Tips - you might get some more info there.

Good luck smile

Anne58 Mon 03-Aug-15 17:34:17

Mr P used to fiddle, and managed to put his phone into "Suomi" once confused

It took some time to realise that Suomi is Finnish (I suppose like we would say French, but the French would refer to their language as Francais)

Took even longer to get it back to English!

Alea Mon 03-Aug-15 18:38:38

Isn't that big fat well built Japanese wrestlers phoenix? confused

durhamjen Mon 03-Aug-15 18:45:57

That's Sumo, Alea.

Ana Mon 03-Aug-15 18:55:28

Have you no sense of humour, dj? grin

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 19:45:02

DS1 is my phone and tablet guru as long as they're Android. At the moment he is out of reach in Corsica so I hope nothing goes wrong until he comes back. hmm

rosequartz Mon 03-Aug-15 19:55:10

I managed to change my FB page to Chinese or Japanese once - I had no clue how I'd done it and so didn't know how to change it back.

However, a tech savvy DD managed to talk me through it!

DD can't seem to print anything sent on email any more - he has to save it first which he doesn't always need to do. Does anyone have any ideas how to print without saving?

(I did know about Suomi - all right, I know I'm showing off now because I know something - if not much!)

rosequartz Mon 03-Aug-15 19:56:26

DH can't print, not DD, of course.
He is worse than me.

Anya Mon 03-Aug-15 23:41:01

Alea grin

Greyduster Tue 04-Aug-15 15:11:22

As everything, including following helpful suggestions on here, had failed, I sent an email to Sony. They tell me that my model of phone does not have the facility to automatically reply to incoming texts and unless I have downloaded third party messaging (what is? How do?) they can't throw any light on it. I now think it is definitely haunted!

rosequartz Tue 04-Aug-15 18:09:23

You've been hacked!

Sorry I can't help, I am fairly useless with mine (what is Android?) confused

rosesarered Tue 04-Aug-15 22:11:06

Perhaps it has quietly developed AI all by itself?

Greyduster Wed 05-Aug-15 11:41:17

Life is definitely getting spookier. I sat outside the supermarket this morning waiting for DH to buy a paper. I was sitting quietly listening to the radio and all of a sudden, the engine started up! Then my phone sent a text alert. No text. No notification of any kind. Yes, I know there is a perfectly reasonable technical explanation for both these things happening, but I mean to say....!

MiniMouse Wed 05-Aug-15 11:48:13

It's all a bit creepy isn't it?! I had a text yesterday telling me that my DD's number had called me. Why a text? There was nothing in my call log and when I checked with DD she knew nothing about it! It's a new phone, so I don't know if that's got anything to do with it, but I shouldn't have thought so confused