Gransnet forums

Technology

KINDLE QUESTION

(12 Posts)
chelseababy Thu 10-Sep-15 22:25:14

Thanks all. My mum is miles away so I'll have to ask my brother to check out her kindle, think it has gone back to the list of books after she charged it!

Elegran Thu 10-Sep-15 18:23:53

chelseababy It is a good idea only to use the kindle with the wi-fi turned on when you want to down load a book or sync one to continue reading it on a different device. It uses far more battery power when the wi-fi is connected. When that is off it doesn't sync, so your mother couild be on a different page of the book without your copy going to that page.

I share an account with someone, and we have never had any problems. We turn on the wi-fi when it is needed and then turn it off again.

Indinana Thu 10-Sep-15 17:32:15

My DH and I share an account on Kindle. We've never yet read the same book at the same time. I have so many books on the account, I can't see it would ever crop up, to be honest. Usually DH will read a book after I've read it. Because I like to be able to access my current book on my iPhone (in case I'm out and have forgotten my Kindle), I do like the sync to furthest page read feature activated.
When I've finished the book, I log into my Amazon account on my laptop, go to 'manage my content' or whatever it's called, and then reset the furthest page read for that book. I then open the book on my Kindle, go to the first page, and close the book. It will now sync to that page, all ready for my DH to read.

LullyDully Thu 10-Sep-15 17:20:16

I found after a while I got blurry vision reading my KINDLE Fire in bed with the light out. Giving it a break for a while.......back to the library. Though the Kindle took me through first three books of Game of Thrones.

Nandalot Thu 10-Sep-15 17:13:21

They only sync to the last page read if you are on wireless setting. This has only happened to us once. I usually put our kindles on aeroplane mode unless I am actually shopping because they use up less battery that way.

chelseababy Thu 10-Sep-15 13:36:19

Thanks Nandalot. Don't the two kindles reading same book try to sync to same page? I suppose you get the option whether or not to go to latest page or stay on own page.

Nandalot Thu 10-Sep-15 11:01:11

I don't know about the hudl but certainly two kindles on the same account can share books and even read the same book at the same time. You just download them from the archived section. MyDH and I often share the same book when reading for the book group.

We have all three sorts of kindle in the family. I think the touch screen might be better for your mum as you only have to tap screen to turn page as she might find the
buttons on side a little tricky.

chelseababy Thu 10-Sep-15 09:43:51

Another Kindle question: I have lent my old kindle (with keyboard as described in op) to my 87 year old mum. She's having trouble getting enough large print books so the idea is to see if she can get on with a kindle and if so buy her a new one. Meanwhile I'm using my Hudl for reading. I've got hundreds of books downloaded. My question is can I read one book while she reads another without them syncing? Do you think the newer touch screen kindles would suit her better? The intention is that we we will share an account as she wouldn't be able to download and I've got plenty she hasn't read.

suzied Thu 10-Sep-15 05:47:58

You don't need the bedside light on with your paperwhite.

Indinana Wed 09-Sep-15 22:37:24

* its, not it's blush

Indinana Wed 09-Sep-15 22:37:01

Bear in mind that in a brightly lit room you should have the Kindle backlight on it's brightest setting, while in a dim room you turn the backlight down low. I always think this sounds the wrong way round, but I've tried it with my Paperwhite and it is right! So if your bedside light is quite bright perhaps you should try turning the light up on your Kindle.

NotTooOld Wed 09-Sep-15 22:03:33

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite some weeks ago. It is a replacement for my ancient Kindle, the one with the keyboard attached to the bottom. I usually read my Kindle for half an hour in bed before I drop off but when I started waking every morning with a bad headache I realised it was caused by the Paperwhite. I have the bedside light on whilst reading, so the backlight is only low. My old Kindle, of course, did not have a backlight. Has anyone else had this problem? I've started buying real books again.