Gransnet forums

Technology

(7 Posts)
tiggypiro Fri 25-Sep-15 10:03:50

I have been having problems with Skype all week. DD in China can hear and see me but problems at this end make it useless - video freezes and speech broken up and/or distorted. Does any one have an answer ? It has to be said I am very much a technophobe !

absentgrandma Fri 25-Sep-15 13:14:24

That's quite odd, as yesterday had the best chat with D and GS via skype we have had for months. Must have talked for over an hour as it was OH's birthday, with no loss of contact. We both said how unusual it was. Came to the conclusion it was because we both switched off the video function. Admittedly, it's not quite the same but at least we had a really lovely natter without it costing a fortune as it would have done on a landline. I was on a tablet, she was on her iPhone if that makes any difference.

ninathenana Fri 25-Sep-15 13:51:50

I heard Skype were having major problems their end sometime in the week.

Helen2014 Wed 14-Oct-15 18:22:28

I love using Skype and use Facetime on my Ipad too. But I have a brother in the US who uses his phone to Skype and a brother in Torquay who just has an old (but still functioning) desktop computer. So although we have been able to have chats using just 'voice' we have not been able to do a three-way face to face with video because Skype charge for that and we are all cheapskates!

Well all that changed last week because I discovered oovoo (http://www.oovoo.com/). It is very similar to Skype and free to use but you can have lots of people on videochat. I'm not sure what the limit was but it was fine for me and my two brothers, no loss of picture quality or sound at all.

I've only tried it once and I'm sure I'll have moments when I'm cursing it but I hope it continues to be free.

tiggypiro Wed 14-Oct-15 19:57:45

That sounds good Helen2014. I am still having problems with Skype but have recently been given a cast-off phone from my SiL and am coming to grips with Whatsapp. I shall have a look at oovoo when I can cope with a bit more techy info !!

Marigoldfoo Wed 14-Oct-15 20:43:14

Have a go with Viber, I use it instead of Skype now.

Coolgran65 Wed 14-Oct-15 21:00:35

I use Skype with video very frequently with my ds in west coast USA, often for up to an hour. Occasionally it pixilates but usually rights itself in moments. I'm using a desk top computer, ds uses lap top so we can get a full view of his living room and dgs aged 2.... love it.

However, other ds tells us that Face Time is better and more reliable.

I am also not very technological and sort of 'go with what I already know'