Gransnet forums

Technology

Fire TV Stick

(10 Posts)
NanKate Mon 09-Nov-15 22:06:21

Sorry I got you confused Ethel it cost about £20 for a Nowtv box plus remote, as well as this we got 4 free days to be taken any time of sport, entertainment or films from Sky.

I only had BBC Iplayer on our tv so buying the Nowtv box gave me all the Catch up programmes, plus, if I am prepared to buy it in some Sky TV programmes as well.

I tend to choose a week of tennis (or any sport you want) for £10.99. This way I can access Sky without paying a regular subscription or having a satellite dish. If I choose only to watch catch up I pay nothing extra.

I have a recorder which records Freeview. It is called a Humax PVR (personal video recorder), however I can only record from Freeview, not Nowtv. If you went into any big store you can pick up a PVR, not necessarily a Humax one.

etheltbags1 Mon 09-Nov-15 21:45:00

ok, my contract with sky lasts until july though but its worth waiting for.

Charleygirl Mon 09-Nov-15 21:38:15

ethelbags1 I am in the same position as yourself and do not have satellite etc., only Freeview and that is the way that I like it. I do record what I want and I think I get around 80 hours of recording. If you are interested I will have a look at the make etc.

etheltbags1 Mon 09-Nov-15 21:29:28

confusedA bit Nan, I cant believe you must pay £20 for just 4 days of tv. Do you have to pay again for another 4 days ?
Even sky is cheaper that that I paid £21 for a months subscription but after being off work for months I had to cancel it.
Is it possible to get a freeview recorder, I prefer to record what I like and catch up in my own time.

NanKate Mon 09-Nov-15 15:40:34

First of all I am no techy person but I do seem to find my way around our TV.

So to answer you Daffy we also have Freeview and then recently Nowtv which I am pleased with as it gives me all the catch up channels and I can buy one day, or one week or one month of Sky Sport or Entertainment or Films at a reasonable price. We do not have cable or a satellite dish. Nowtv cost us about £20 and we got 4 free days of Sky TV to watch in that £20. We can also access Nowtv at no extra cost of up to 3 other appliances. So I have it on my Ipad as well as the main telly.

The reason I asked about the Fire Stick is that I thought for a one off payment of about £34 I could get Netflix which are all the latest films, but I suspect I would have to pay for them individually, so I don't think the Fire Stick is for me.

Well Ethel I agree about the expense of paying for Sky TV that is why I like Nowtv as I only buy the day/week/month that I want which for sport are £6.99/£10.99 and I think a month is £31.99. As I buy it to watch tennis around the world, I choose the tournaments I want and pay at the time.

Hope that has answered your questions.

etheltbags1 Mon 09-Nov-15 10:20:21

I have freesat from sky so I cant access the subscription channels but I do have sky plus so I can record and fast forward/back. can I use one. Would one of these avoid the need to pay for subscription channels (soo expensive).

daffydil Mon 09-Nov-15 08:15:57

Do you have to have satellite or cable television to use a Fire tv Stick? We have got Freeview but nothing else.

NanKate Sun 08-Nov-15 21:59:25

Hi Ethel a Fire Stick is like a memory stick you put in a computer, except you put it in an HDMI socket which is either on the side or back of your tv. You can then access Catch up tv, Amazon Prime (tv series etc) , Netflix (films) etc. I wanted to get feedback from other users. The basic one costs about £35, this is the Fire Stick plus a remote.

etheltbags1 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:23:45

whats a fire tv stick ??? are they expensive ?

NanKate Sun 08-Nov-15 19:24:37

I have just seen Jeremy Clarkson advertise a Fire TV Stick and I thought I might like one.

Have any Gransnetters got a Fire stick and what do you think of it ? Can you get Netflix on The Fire stick and do you have to pay extra for it ?

I have NowTV and can tell you about that if anyone is interested in getting one.