Gransnet forums

Technology

Smart Phones.

(20 Posts)
Falconbird Sun 22-Nov-15 08:57:03

My son bought me a Smart Phone because my old phone is ancient. The Smart Phone needs to be charged a lot far more often that my old non-tech phone which needs to be charged every four days or so.

Is this normal with a Smart Phone. So far I'm finding it a b----y nuisance rather than a step up. Also I can't ring out from it unless I stand right up against a window. It is great for taking photos though.

Lona Sun 22-Nov-15 09:34:02

Have a look in your settings as there may be battery saving tips. Lots more going on in a smart phone which drains the battery more quickly than the older phones.
Google it too, you will find tips there too.

JackyB Sun 22-Nov-15 09:45:02

Just get into the habit of plugging it in before you go to bed, if you can't get it to work less.

Make sure it is not set to continually link up to the internet for e-mails, weather conditions, etc.

On all the smart phones I've seen, you can pull down a kind of "blind" over the screen for a quick check of settings. Without even pulling down this helpful menu, you can see in the bar at the top what is actually activated at any given time.

Make sure that none of the following are switched on unless you are actually using them:

Bluetooth
Wifi
GPS
(Data traffic).

When abroad, it's best to switch off data traffic, even if you do decide to have it on whilst in your home country. I usually have it switched when in the UK because I have an agreement with my provider that I can use it for €2.99 a day, but at my mother's house I have little or no signal, so I can't use it enough to make the cost worth it. To prevent automatic linkups with the net, it's very easy to switch off the connection for 24 hours.

You can still make phone calls and send texts with that switched off, but Whatsapp won't work, of course.

annodomini Sun 22-Nov-15 10:34:54

There are apps you can install which tell you which other apps are draining your battery.

Coolgran65 Sun 22-Nov-15 11:44:48

My iPhone passed to be as dc upgrade, uses much less energy than my old android phone.

petra Sun 22-Nov-15 17:16:28

Only yesterday I read that if you put them on airplane mode, they charge quicker. But as someone said, turn everything off.

JackyB Tue 24-Nov-15 12:05:20

I have heard that i-phones are easier on the juice, too. But it's too late now, as Falconbird already has her phone.

A couple more things have occurred to me - on my old phone, for some reason, using the timer used up a lot of power, and you should definitely check the settings for the screen in rest mode - how long does it stay lit up if not used (reduce this to just a few seconds if you can) and is the brightness set at 100%? - You don't need that much, and it's more polite to reduce the brightness anyway, so you don't shine it in other people's faces, especially in dark rooms.

Falconbird Tue 24-Nov-15 16:00:17

I have to charge it every other day. Is this normal?

shysal Tue 24-Nov-15 17:04:07

My phone is a Samsung, which I only use for a couple of texts and calls per day, but a charge barely lasts 2 days, despite changing the settings as suggested above. I agree this is a nuisance, but I have now got into the habit of charging it each day.

Anya Tue 24-Nov-15 22:57:51

Yes, it is normal Falconbird and the more you use it the faster it will drain. Get into the habit of checking the charge left and plug it in when you get a chance.

Falconbird Wed 25-Nov-15 06:01:07

Thanks Grans.

I'm getting the idea of the Smart Phone now. It's great. I've downloaded some apps, taken my first selfie and playing Candy Crush.

My gs thinks his nan is really clever because he thinks I'm ancient. smile

AlicePoole Mon 29-Feb-16 10:07:14

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anniel Mon 29-Feb-16 14:37:28

I used to have a Google Nexus phone and it had to be charged daily. I have recently bought an iphone and the battery lasts a lot longer between charges. I use it for everything..listening to music, radio,whatsapp for free phone calls and instant messages. i am away from the UK at present and I was able to ring a friend in UK with whatsapp and it wasa clear as a bell. I use my iPhone like an extra iPad and love it to bits.

I wish I knew more about the camera, but I just do not understand the icons. I do not want to take selfies, so I guess I should look for the directions, but if anyone here has a site about the iPhone 6+ camera please let me know.

grannylyn65 Mon 29-Feb-16 14:42:18

me too Annie, tried to take pic of dgs in park and he appears to have cloned himself!!!!

Anniel Mon 29-Feb-16 15:05:00

Funny you should say that Grannylyn. I am staying with my son who has four gorgeous Jack Russells and I wish i was proficient enough to take really good photos of them!

augustk Thu 10-Mar-16 07:51:17

This is normal. I need to charge my phone per day, even just bought it a few days later.

jerryhorn12 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:56:58

some times it happens...

mrsmopp Sat 04-Jun-16 18:40:15

I put my phone on charge every night at bedtime and that's it. It's never a problem as it easily lasts all day no matter how much I use it.
DH has a basic Nokia, it's just a phone, nothing else and it lasts a week between charges. He prefers it and has no desire for a smart phone. I think it's about 15 years old so it doesn't owe us anything.

oldkranky Sat 04-Jun-16 19:21:30

Hi - not a very good idea putting your phone etc on charge overnight. Always best to charge them where you can keep an eye on them just in case.

mrsmopp Sat 04-Jun-16 21:10:42

Never heard that one before. I have always charged my phone overnight, or occasionally left it on charge and gone shopping. Why the need to keep an eye on it?
Is it a fire hazard or something? I had no idea. Good to know that, thanks.