Gransnet forums

Technology

another scam at cash machines...soz if already been mentioned...

(9 Posts)
bikergran Fri 27-Nov-15 16:14:50

JUts logged onto yahoo and it seems we have yet another scam at cash machines..sorry don't know how to do links (but will learn) one day!

Where you type sin your pin number there could be a tiny little pin hole just above, it may have a sticker on to conceal the pin hole, apparently there is a cameras behind that record your pin, its sort of disguised as a piece of the cash machine,and blends int the background, I think looking at the picy(on yahoo) it would be hard to spot! especially at this time of year where everyone dashing to the cash points.

ninathenana Fri 27-Nov-15 18:56:32

This is an old trick biker that's why they advise you to cover the keypad with your other hand as you tap in your pin. I do this in shops too.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Nov-15 19:15:30

How do people get away with doing this sort of thing to cash machines? confused It must take a bit of time. Don't they get caught on cctv cameras?

I always follow the advice to cover the keypad with other hand, but didn't know there could be a camera there!

Ana Fri 27-Nov-15 20:16:30

I may be being dim here, but how would knowing your PIN help anyone to steal from you without the actual card?

FarNorth Fri 27-Nov-15 20:46:54

This article explains how the card is cloned at the same time as the PIN is being filmed.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2880896/Is-lurking-cash-machine-mobile-phone-cameras-fuelling-rise-ATM-fraud.html

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 27-Nov-15 21:02:53

I saw this on the TV at the hospital on Tuesday. I think the show was called Oxford Street or something like that. It showed plain clothed police patrolling specifically to spot cash machine scammers and this is one of the tricks used. The answer is to use your hand to hide the keypad when you're entering your PIN number - the way everyone used to when PIN numbers first came out, and like the photo above shows.

bikergran Sat 28-Nov-15 13:27:54

the article on yahoo said it was in Manchester Piccadily, no doubt there have been numerous others, if I could get the picy and show it , you see that you wouldn't really notice this tiny pinhole as they have made it like a sticker but with a little hole in it

bikergran Sat 28-Nov-15 13:31:23

pinhole

Anniel Mon 29-Feb-16 15:09:31

I now never use an ATM if it is not inside a bank. All the stories of accounts being cleared out makes me nervous!