Gransnet forums

Technology

Sudden voices on my IPad

(12 Posts)
NanKate Wed 16-Dec-15 14:37:35

Recently on my IPad for no apparent reason voices or songs just burst in unannounced. I am sure I have not hit an advert or similar with my finger. If I put the IPad on mute it stops it.

Any ideas where it could come from ?

tanith Wed 16-Dec-15 14:44:52

Do you have other tabs open NanKate? If so it could be a video that is just activated when you open the page something like Facebook or utube.. even though you aren't actually aware there is a video on the page.

Anya Wed 16-Dec-15 14:56:54

Christmas elves for sure.

loopylou Wed 16-Dec-15 14:57:53

You're not the only one NanKate, it happens to me too (and I don't use Facebook or YouTube)
It drives me potty and I've tried downloading AdBlocker but my iPad min won't take it for some flipping reason ?
Are there any techy GNs out there who can help?

Coolgran65 Wed 16-Dec-15 19:14:50

This happens me also, I think it's the videos on the advertising that pops up.

grannylyn65 Wed 16-Dec-15 19:18:58

Tetchy GN ers, not possibletchgrin

Lona Wed 16-Dec-15 19:29:23

loopy try looking for Adblock for iPad mini specifically, and it will tell you if there is something available for your device.

loopylou Wed 16-Dec-15 20:31:51

I've tried Lona, they're all 'incompatible with your device ' apparently ???

cornergran Wed 16-Dec-15 20:38:28

I always keep the sound muted on my laptop and just turn on when I need to listen to something? Can you do that on an iPad? Don't have one so can't check n

cornergran Wed 16-Dec-15 20:41:07

Oops. Sorry NanKate. Didn't read your post properly. You obviously can! tchblush

Maranta Thu 17-Dec-15 08:37:55

I think some advertising videos start up as you scroll down even if you don't touch the actual advert. I find the audio stops once they disappear at the top. The local newspaper sites seem to be the worst for this, which is why I avoid them.

NanKate Thu 17-Dec-15 09:39:48

Thanks for all your suggestions. Relieved it isn't only me.

I do use Youtube and Facebook most days, so it could as you say come from there. I will take of the sound off until I want it for music.

I would ask you all round for a coffee and warm mince pie, perhaps I will suggest a virtual Xmas party. smile