Gransnet forums

Technology

What does all this jargon mean ?

(6 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 01-Mar-16 10:41:51

I have somehow managed to loose what was "synched" connections between my laptop phone and tablet. That is I should be able to see the same emails, facebook stuff, etc on each device.
I have been looking on t'internet and all I get is jargon.

Tethering is connecting one device to another. In the context of mobile phones and tablet computers, tethering allows sharing the Internet connection of the phone or tablet with other devices such as laptops. Connection of the phone or tablet with other devices can be done over wireless LAN (Wi-Fi), over Bluetooth or by physical connection using a cable, for example through USB.

If tethering is done over WLAN, the feature may be branded as a mobile hotspot, which allows the smartphone to serve as a portable router; mobile hotspots may be protected by a PIN or password.[1] The Internet-connected mobile device can act as a portable wireless access point and router for devices connected to it.

HELP !!!!! confused confused confused

NanaandGrampy Tue 01-Mar-16 10:48:48

Tethering a device is where you use one device to connect to the internet and link it to another one so they both use the same connection.

This is done by going into settings on device one and enabling your personal hotspot.

Then on the second device you go into wifi settings and you will 'see' the first device and you connect to it.

I'm not sure that will resolve your syncing problem..... but maybe you dont mean syncing smile

For instance I do this is I am not in a wifi hotspot and I want to use my iPad that has no sim card. So I enable my personal hotspot on my phone which does have a sim and tether to it so both devices can access the internet.

Does that help at all?

Nelliemoser Tue 01-Mar-16 14:01:47

NanaandGrampy Thank you It sounds as if I am confusing these. I did get them all set up once.

Tizliz Tue 01-Mar-16 14:11:10

If you want to see your emails on all your devices (don't forget you will have to delete them several times) you have to store them on the server. I only know how to do this in Outlook but you will have to look in your 'connections'. If you tell me which system you use I will try and help - unless there is a 'techie' on here.

NanaandGrampy Tue 01-Mar-16 14:12:01

Lol happens to the best of us Nellie let us know , if I didn't fix it then there's sure to be someone here who can !

Good luck

NanaMacGeek Mon 07-Mar-16 18:23:04

Have you managed to sort this out yet Nelliemoser? Synchronising/syncing applications between various devices is not as easy as people like Apple and Microsoft would have you believe. I'm not sure I can help either but if you are still struggling, let me know which devices you are trying to sync and which apps you are trying to sync on them. I know you want to sync your email but have you also been syncing your calendar and web browser as well (for example) before it all stopped working? Hopefully you have got this restored by now though.