Gransnet forums

Technology

BEWARE! Possible Talk talk scam.

(9 Posts)
hildajenniJ Thu 14-Apr-16 14:40:47

I had a phone call this morning from a woman with an Asian accent. She said she was phoning on behalf of Talk talk. She said they had detected a computer virus and would I please turn on my computer and she would guide me to the problem. We have our phone and broadband with Talk talk. I said no thank you very politely, but she was very insistent. In the end I just hung up on her and blocked the number. The number she was phoning from is: 001759108945.
Please everyone, beware.

aggie Thu 14-Apr-16 15:08:15

I had a call from them this am , I told them I didn't have a computer ............. well I use a laptop , a little white lie then

Greyduster Thu 14-Apr-16 15:52:52

We seem to get these fairly regularly - we just put the phone down.

Maggiemaybe Thu 14-Apr-16 16:20:55

We've had them regularly. The last one said she was from the Department of Windows, which made me chuckle.

oldkranky Fri 15-Apr-16 10:47:13

These are all scams - I managed to waste a good 15 minutes of one by pretending to be deaf and a bit slow - then asking them to wait while I answered the door.

ninathenana Fri 15-Apr-16 14:43:48

I told the last one "your very clever to detect a problem from that far away" she obviously thought "the old biddy is hooked" and went into her spiel. At which point I said "but dear I don't have computer" (lie) she hung up grin

grumppa Fri 15-Apr-16 16:33:45

I thought the Department of Windows was a branch of the Treasury set up to revive long abandoned taxes: soccage, scutage, windows tax etc.

FarNorth Fri 15-Apr-16 17:00:23

Yes, it is. Maggiemaybe could be facing a spell in the Tower for non-cooperation.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Apr-16 18:53:46

Oh, blimey, I've never heard of that shock Come to think of it, I may have been a tad tardy in filing one of my scutage returns. I'll get my case packed and wait for the arrival of the hired goons.