Gransnet forums

Technology

Is this phishing?

(10 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 02-May-16 17:09:49

I've just received an email from Apple to say that a person unknown to me has selected my email address. It then asks me to click a link to verify this. I have never had an Apple account but am worried that someone is using my email address. I didn't click the link. What do people think?

phoenix Mon 02-May-16 17:19:43

Definitely spam/phishing, just delete.

ffinnochio Mon 02-May-16 17:19:44

Sounds dodgy. You've wisely left well alone.

Charleygirl Mon 02-May-16 17:26:31

Clicking the link may open a can of worms. You did the correct thing.

Elegran Mon 02-May-16 17:43:04

You could go to the Apple website. They probably have somewhere you can forward dodgy-looking emails for them to vet for authenticity.

Or you could choose "view message source" from the mebus at the top of your email page and see what is on there. There are lines which start "From . . . " "Received from . . ." and "Return path . . . ." which might have something odd in them - something that is nothing to do with Apple. That would make you wary.

Elegran Mon 02-May-16 17:43:34

Menus, not mebus.

thatbags Mon 02-May-16 18:02:38

Put it in the trash without opening any links, or forward it to Apple, again without opening any links.

Jane10 Mon 02-May-16 18:03:20

Thanks all. Think I'll just delete. I'm not sure about how to do the menu thing Elegran and wouldn't know what was OK or not. All this tech stuff is a worry!

Grannyknot Mon 02-May-16 22:29:28

Never ever click on a link that comes in an unsolicited email. That's the best/safest approach!

honeypot43 Wed 29-Jun-16 12:01:14

everyone on my contacts list was sent a strange "help" email yesterday. It caused me much embarrassment, spent all morning changing passwords, but haven't managed to change all of them on web sites that I have used. Had to try and email everyone and apologise- how can this be stopped? my email address must have been hacked into, so distressing