Gransnet forums

Technology

"BT OpenReach" Scam phone calls

(3 Posts)
Elegran Fri 05-Aug-16 14:27:55

Daughter has had a call from a new telephone scam.

She says - "It’s a variant on the “Windows support” calling from India, but this time “BT OpenReach” have seen fluctuating signals from your broadband, with ‘Requests for Time Out’. If you seem doubtful they offer to help you check the ‘CLS ID’ which will ‘prove’ they are who they say they are, because only they and you would be able to see that unique id. Except it isn’t – it’s a term for an id on lots of pieces of software and they can easily pick one which is standard on everyone’s PC... Oh, and he said if I didn’t they would have to block my broadband... forever! That, along with the fact that he couldn’t give me a phone number and id to call him back, was the end of our chat, as by this point I was no way going to go to the PC to do anything.

Much like other scams, but they are quicker to try to be reassuring about why they are calling from India, and offer to find this ‘unique’ id which will convince you . . . "

ninathenana Fri 05-Aug-16 14:51:57

Thanks for the heads up

hildajenniJ Fri 05-Aug-16 17:22:39

Telephone number 0999999999 has started calling me. Yesterday they phoned six times. So far today it has been four times. Needless to say, I haven't answered it. My DH did yesterday, announcing that he was H Police Station. They put the phone down immediately!