Gransnet forums

Technology

Amazon Fire Stick

(32 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 06-Nov-16 15:23:12

DD thinks we should get one because DH is constantly moaning about the lack of decent programmes to watch. We just have Freeview at the moment.

We have a fast broadband connection so that won't be a problem.

Anyone else got one of these and is it worth having?

mcem Mon 14-Nov-16 19:05:33

Like the idea for 2nd tv but the fact that Clarkson advertises it puts me right off!

Granarchist Mon 14-Nov-16 18:18:34

just got my firestick and one free month on Netflix about to watch The Crown - v excited. My 'smart' TV needed a dongle to connect to wifi/internet so I got a firestick for the same price. All my photos now stored on cloud and will do same for music - I'll be interested to see what the quality of TV speakers is like.

mrsjones Mon 14-Nov-16 18:14:18

I also love it for my music and have recently discovered that I can view my photos on the big screen - magic! As you can tell I'm not tech savvy.

merlotgran Mon 14-Nov-16 16:03:58

I've enjoyed being able to watch films I would never have otherwise seen as DH has always hated going to the cinema.

So far I've seen The Painted Veil and Grace of Monaco. They were both free with Amazon Prime.

Many more await for a rainy day.

nanaGill Mon 14-Nov-16 15:31:55

I have a Kobo stick - similar to Chromecast and Fire, but without any of the extra costs. I bought it for about £35 a couple of years ago (might be cheaper now?) It is brilliant for catchup services. There are other free channels as well, but I haven't felt the need. Could add Now or Amazon, but there is plenty to watch without.

LuckyDucky Sat 12-Nov-16 17:23:50

The Amazon fire stick is worth it. It will be QED

Peaseblossom Sat 12-Nov-16 17:10:50

I have a Chromecast which cost about £30. It's very useful for screening programmes from my laptop/phone via BBC iplayer, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Skullduggery Sat 12-Nov-16 16:02:29

There's not much on Amazon that's free so I subscribe to Netflix rather than pay for Amazon Prime as I think the range of programmes is better and I can watch Netflix on various devices. You can still buy individual episodes or series on Amazon, but I haven't bothered to.

For music, try Spotify online. It's a free service with a short ad break every thirty minutes or add free, if you subscribe. I have it on my iPhone and plug that into my radio in the kitchen when I'm cooking. You can search for music styles or particular artists and albums. The bonus is that there's no irritating chat between tracks.

merlotgran Sat 12-Nov-16 15:33:37

I love the words on the screen as well, Purple. It will be great for Christmas singalongs with the DGCs. No more 'dah-de-dah-de-dah' until the bit you know comes around again. grin

You don't have to subscribe to Amazon Prime, Victoria but I think it's better value for money if you do.

Victoria08 Sat 12-Nov-16 15:27:31

We are thinking of buying a fire stick, but do you have to subscribe to Amazon prime.
Would very much like to know before I buy one
I thought that once you had bought the stick, that was it.
Can anyone tell me for sure please.

Also, do you have to pay extra for certain programmes or films.

Purpledaffodil Sat 12-Nov-16 15:18:05

I found that recently too*Merlotgran*. Have you found it also streams other music e.g. 60s music with words so you can sing along as you do the ironinggrin
We have the Fire stick AND a Now box and I still can't find things I want to watch. Now is owned by Sky but there is no commitment. You just buy vouchers for the bits you want and they are often available at bargain prices on....Amazon.

Bez1989 Sat 12-Nov-16 14:50:36

We have it.....It's great. Our fave programme is BONES....Based on real life forensic anthropologist working with FBI
to slove murders.

merlotgran Sat 12-Nov-16 10:36:06

I was playing around with it yesterday and clicked on Music.

Hey presto! My entire collection of Amazon downloads appeared before my very eyes! shock

The telly has good speakers so no more messing around with CDs and our ancient stereo system so will be great for when I finally get round to do the ironing.

Skullduggery Sat 12-Nov-16 10:13:05

anniefrance I'm in Ireland and can't access U.K. TV channels online so I'm using a Roku stick with the FilmOn app downloaded. (You need to create an account on the Roku on your computer.) You can use the filmon app to watch live UK tv channels or record up to an hours worth of tv for free. FilmOn also includes access to channels from around the world.

I didn't like the Amazon stick much as a lot of Amazon content charges extra to watch it. Paying for Prime is pointless if you're outside the UK. I only use the stick on the other TV as a back up now.

The Crown is a great series!

Badenkate Sat 12-Nov-16 10:03:09

Sorry I realise I've now recommended it twice - I'm not getting paid, honest.

annifrance Sat 12-Nov-16 10:01:18

Any ideas for one of these devices that will work for us expats?

Badenkate Sat 12-Nov-16 10:00:09

For those of you who like slightly edgy (whatever that means) dramas, and aren't put off by some swearing, can I recommend Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton on Amazon. I think it's better than most of the other serials on at the moment.

radicalnan Sat 12-Nov-16 09:54:55

I love mine got the voice activated one and it speaks cockney and so much easier than buttons to press when my hands are bad.

Thingmajig Sat 12-Nov-16 09:53:59

I got one from Santa last year, primarily to use on our spare tv during the hours and hours of football.

SIL put Kodi onto it so the possibilities are endless.

The selling point for me was that it didn't need an aerial to work.

Leva Sat 12-Nov-16 09:52:58

It is brilliant! Don't hesitate. It's so easy to use and much better than Apple TV and it's cheap too.

BRedhead59 Sat 12-Nov-16 09:48:58

The Crown - excellent

Annitona Sat 12-Nov-16 09:35:34

I got a Fire Stick as a present a few months ago but haven't installed it yet as it's difficult to get to the back of the large TV.

Badenkate Fri 11-Nov-16 14:52:28

I'm saving 'The Crown' until the weekend when DH is on a course for 2 days.

merlotgran Fri 11-Nov-16 13:18:12

Very pleased with it. Easy to install and no problems with picture quality etc.

The Crown has now become my guilty secret.....I'm hooked!

merlotgran Sun 06-Nov-16 19:44:52

Thanks everyone. I've ordered one so will report back.

We used to have Amazon Prime when the DGCs were small then cancelled it when they only wanted money for presents. I think it might be a good idea to subscribe again.