Gransnet forums

Technology

Suppressing the sound on a TV

(5 Posts)
Linsco56 Tue 21-Feb-17 15:32:45

Thanks, I've spoken to DB and he's going to call in at mum's house tonight and do whatever needs to be done. She's far less likely to be cranky with him as he rarely visits and she is always delighted to see him. smile

mcem Tue 21-Feb-17 12:32:04

Sorry if this is stating the obvious.

On my remote control there is a MENU button. This allows you to scroll through the settings - adjusting colour, brightness etc and sound. I think you can choose what is effectively the default setting.
If when she switches on, she can't hear, she can increase the volume but only as high as the level you set.

She might still not hear well and become very annoyed with you if she knows what you did!!

JackyB Tue 21-Feb-17 11:28:29

When I phone my Mum she spends ages trying to find the mute button and sometimes gives up completely - so we have to talk with the telly on, very loudly, in the background. She only needs to change between 2-3 channels, switch the sound up or down or off completely. The controls are far too complicated and she can't really see the writing on them any more.

She does have the sound up far too high, and we're trying to persuade her to get hearing aids.

The idea of a fixed setting - sort of "cruise control" - would be great. I wonder how you can set that...

tanith Tue 21-Feb-17 11:17:35

There is a setting somewhere to set it at whichever level you want as you turn it on but trouble is that won't stop her turning it up again if she thinks its too quiet. Maybe a letter from the local council about unsocial levels of noise would make her see sense.grin

Linsco56 Tue 21-Feb-17 11:09:06

Does anyone know if this can be done?

I arrived at mum's house this morning to be met by her neighbour who complained that my mother was watching TV at 3am this morning with the sound turned on at full volume.

When I call round early evening I can hear Pointless at full blast as soon as I open the car door. She does not have a hearing problem but is very, very stubborn and refuses to reduce the sound.

I told her this morning that Mrs N had complained about the noise during the night and her response was "so what? let her complain".

This is an ongoing problem and my DB bought her headphones which she refuses to wear for no reason other than she doesn't want to.

I have googled suppressing the sound on a TV but without much success. Ideally I would like to be able to permanently set the TV volume to an acceptable level.