Gransnet forums

Technology

Another wretched computer scam

(8 Posts)
tiggypiro Wed 01-Mar-17 17:53:34

Using facebook last night (my monthly look-in) not only did a message flash up on screen but it was also 'talking' to me. It was coming from our old friends microsoft and at first seemed very convincing. It said I had to ring the number given within 5 minutes or everything on my computer would be lost. They would of course talk me through how to avoid it happenning (so kind). I tried to shut everything down but it was impossible. I rang my son in Spain who said to switch the computer off and also disable the router, leave it over night and scan for viruses today. Did what he suggested and it is now working as normal.
We are of course used to the 'microsoft' phone calls but this seemed to be in a different league and certainly pressed my panic button. I can imagine many people would easily fall for it so if it happens to you me son's advice works.

Ana Wed 01-Mar-17 18:01:09

Blimey, if my computer started talking to me I'd switch it off in a flash! I hate it when you're just browsing a site and suddenly the sound comes on as it is!

grannylyn65 Wed 01-Mar-17 18:02:30

Will iphone work if router? I realise this is probably a stupid question!!!

GracesGranMK2 Wed 01-Mar-17 18:07:31

I've had this - it seemed to come up when I clicked on something that appeared to be news. Luckily I have a Kindle so could look it up but it was very disconcerting.

Just shut everything down seems to be the answer as it is impossible to close the page.

nanaK54 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:12:36

Thanks for sharing - forewarned is forearmed

NfkDumpling Wed 01-Mar-17 19:19:50

Thank you. Will watch out. It's difficult for my computer to talk to me as I keep the sound off. If it did I'd really worry!

Elegran Wed 01-Mar-17 19:53:58

grannylynn The computer would work again when you switched the router back on.

Elegran Wed 01-Mar-17 19:54:47

So would iphone if it gets a signal via the router.