Gransnet forums

Technology

I want a real human at the end of the line

(17 Posts)
morethan2 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:30:16

Esspee that made me grin

petra Thu 20-Apr-17 17:10:12

I have often found that if you ignore 'press so and so button' a human will come on the line.

glammanana Thu 20-Apr-17 09:36:34

This past week I have been changing our address with countless services and am near to pulling my hair out the worst was DVLA and the easiest was the Local Council Electorial Roll,trying on line was just a total waste of time my page kept timing out whilst I tried to find my relevant passwords.

rascal Thu 20-Apr-17 09:01:33

Oh yes I went through all that yesterday with 02!!! I was for throwing the phone out of the window!!! angry

morethan2 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:29:03

I still have to sort out my mobile that vanished about 7 months ago. I just can't face the hours and hours of frustration it will cause trying to sort it out. sad

Esspee Wed 19-Apr-17 14:36:55

I laughed 'till I cried Maw Broon, thank you for that.
I worked for BT at one time and was dealing with a customer who claimed his Call Minder was not working. It took me some time to realise that he was answering the options menu which required simple yes/no responses with aye/naw. The conversation became more and more surreal as I tried to explain that he had to say yes and no. The response from him was "aye",
sir you need to say YES
"aye ye said that afore"
Saying aye won't work sir you must say Y E S (spelt out) and N O for no
So I have to spell it out?
No but you need to say yes instead of using aye and say no instead of naw
But I dinnae do that,
Listen hen the thing disnae work. Jist gae me ma money back.

(Incidentally I was born in Govan so am bilingual ?)

AlieOxon Wed 19-Apr-17 08:53:30

I always say 'thanks goodness! a person!' when I get one at last.....but it probably has no effect...

morethan2 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:09:54

? thank youMawbroon I enjoyed that but I have to say my reactions yesterday were very similar. Still the children enjoyed the park so perhaps somthing good came from my frustration.

Tizliz Tue 18-Apr-17 19:21:06

Mawbroon that is a classic, I have sent it to so many of my friends since I first saw it. My Scottish/English accent would work though

ElaineI Tue 18-Apr-17 18:53:50

That was very funny MawBroon! Reminds me of trying to get my youngest DD a TV licence for halls of residence in Stirling over the phone - Stirling, S***T***I***R***L***I***N***G, No!No!No! Stirrrrling! STIR! LING! - we gave up!

ninathenana Tue 18-Apr-17 12:48:57

Our nearest Cineworld cinema used to have voice
non recognition booking. I wonder why the did away with it grin

goldengirl Tue 18-Apr-17 12:00:29

Love it MawBroon especially as last week I only wanted to speak to a human about my car insurance - the website didn't answer my question. It took a...g...e...s. And it just as long for me to calm down when a human eventually responded. Where has customer care gone? Not everything is possible by voice recognition - yet!

MawBroon Tue 18-Apr-17 11:38:15

Voice activated instructions/ responses are the spawn of the devil.
Hope you enjoy this short video - it might make up for some of them grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

NanaandGrampy Tue 18-Apr-17 11:31:48

Its the reason I bank with First Direct. A real person, not passed from pillar to post, call centre in the Uk and kindness and patience for old ladies like me !!

morethan2 Tue 18-Apr-17 11:20:56

True Tizliz that's made me feel more positive in my response smile

Tizliz Tue 18-Apr-17 11:05:55

At least you can shout at an automated voice ?

morethan2 Tue 18-Apr-17 10:57:15

I've just spent 3 hours trying to reset my pay pal account. That meant contacting my bank. So changing passwords, changing security codes and numbers. Remembering long lost passwords. Talking to automated voices and repeating and repeating the answer because they didn't understand my response. I found myself swearing at the automated voice and I didn't say shite I said somthing much worseangry is it just me that finds this type of communication difficult or am I completely stupid. Please don't answer that wink now volunteered to take three grandchildren to the park to calm me down.